LegacyGT.com

Gas Overflowing at the pump?

gibjer

OK this has happened to me enough times now at different pumps that I'm getting concerned.

Lately, when I fill the tank and the gas clicks off, after a second or two gas will start coming back out.

Some comes out the filler tube and down the fender, some seems to leak at the tube on the inside and ends up goign down my tire and wheel well / mud gaurd.

Anyone else have this issue? I am going to bring it to a dealer, and I am under warrentee, just looking for causes.

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

:whore:

Sounds like a clogged/crimped vent tube.

Until you get it figured out, slow down the flow when it starts to get close, or stop it sooner, so you don't get fuel all over your paint. It definately sounds like a clogged or pinched vent, though.

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

it happened to me as well as five days ago for the first time. Back then I thought there was something wrong with the nozzle itself. Now it gets thinking....but then today it filled; it clicked; it stopped....guess I need to keep an eye on this thing.

I had that happen to me all the time, then I changed gas stations and no more problems.

Maybe it is the automatic shut-off on the pump being out of adjustment (if there is any sort of adjustment) or it is f'd up in some way that it doesn't work right. If it was your vent tube I would expect it to do this every time you fill up.

It is still ugly.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you trying to "top off" when you're filling? I know for me, this is the first car I've ever owned that can not take topping off AT ALL! The very instant the auto shut off shuts off, that's it! No more gas gets put in. Makes me nervous if I'm in NJ since you can't fill up yourself so I always have to warn them. The SECOND you try to pump after the auto shut off, out she spills. All over the place. I've learned to leave it at the shut off and have never had a leak again.

+2 on the vent. happened on my first fill up. even going very slow filling it would do it. dealer put a whole new vent something and it's been fine for 9k. take it to the dealer. they give you a hard time, PM me and I'll pull the work order and get their #s off it.

OK Update,

I don't top off, especially since I started having this problem, but I'm starting to think it may be that station, I've filled up twice since the worst of these and it hasn't happened. I have a feeling if it were a bent vent or something it'd happen every time.

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

OK Update,

I don't top off, especially since I started having this problem, but I'm starting to think it may be that station, I've filled up twice since the worst of these and it hasn't happened. I have a feeling if it were a bent vent or something it'd happen every time.

It may very well be the station. If they have strong pumps that really pumps fast, when your tank gets full, there is so much turbulance or momentum, that it has no where to go but back out.

Try a few other quality stations, and you should be able to figure it out after a few more tanks.

Good Luck!

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

Archived