LegacyGT.com

R&T: LGT vs. STI Drag Times

+1

They prob had optimal conditions for a turbo, and a whole day of testing to get the track nice and sticky and get the launching down pat.

I have the article at home...I remeber it was like 85 degrees...forget the humidity and altitude.

They got summer tires on spec B compared to us. And probably better susupension...though that is more important handling wise rather than a straight line acceleration. Tires make huge differences...think Ferrari vs Renault last year in F1...

Tires I can see making a difference as I noticed a big difference when I got my new tires a month ago however suspension and less gears really has nothing to do with the time they got in terms of acceleration.

I think Auto Week (not sure of the mag) got a 5.24 0-60 in the regular LGT non Spec B so our cars are certainly capable of quick times it just takes a bit of abuse of the clutch. But if you think about it, a time like this is good to see at least it shows what the Legacy is capable of if really pushed.

Tires I can see making a difference as I noticed a big difference when I got my new tires a month ago however suspension and less gears really has nothing to do with the time they got in terms of acceleration.

*cough* what?

STI needs to shift into third to his 60mph, and the soft suspension in the stock LGT means losing power through the front wheels which lift off the ground.

You know...the 18 in tires on spec B also help...there's higher mpg per gear with bigger wheels...definitely ABSOLUTELY no need to shift in 3rd to hit 60mph when compared with a stocker GT. Now talk about grippier tires and better suspension...and we can account for that half a second ?

FWIW I don't think they launched the STI properly, as the previous years were 13.1 or 13.2 in the 1/4. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't see a reason why the 06 would be half a second slower.

0-60 in the sti requires 3 shifts... the legacy gains a little time becuase we only need 2 shifts.

and 13.7 is tied for the best stock 1/4 mile time i've seen for any legacy.... however i'm sure that 13.6 is not the best STi time floating out there??? (maybe it is?)

anyhow... i dont think anyone here doubts that this is what makes the legacy such a great car -- STi peformance in a sylish sleeper body.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry.....but I have been in & driven a 05 STI before.

Hard.....VERY hard...

A stock STI is not a 13 flat car 13.2-13.5 & that is with a deadly 5-6k drop.

On average more like 13.4 Stage 1....Maybe....Stage II yea....but not stock.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The reason that they got such an amazing time with the spec-b is that they actually beat the piss out of it to get the best time possible (as they should in a test to see what the car can do).

Most of the tests with the regular GTs were done in autos and those done in manuals were not slammed on. However autoweek did get a 5.24 0-60 with the base non-limited GT 5MT. Therefore I don't believe the Spec-B is any faster than a regular GT....it was just run real hard in this particular test and that is the difference not the car.

This is how I see it.

"5.24 0-60 with the base non-limited GT 5MT"

Sweet, glad I have a non limited GT. Not that it makes a big difference, but I can always argue that it is a bit lighter than the limited version. That moonroof adds alot of weight right were you don't wan't it ;)

Archived