LegacyGT.com

Install Day/Review (gauge,bushings,brakes)

I don't know where this should go since it includes suspension, brakes, and interior, so move it as you see fit Mods...

All right, this will be my install and review thread for the following…

VEI Boost Gauge in the AVO Pod

Whiteline Steering Bushings

Technafit SS Brakelines

Motul 600 Brake Fluid

Endless SS-M Brake Pads

First, a big thanks to Steve McCorry (mccorry) for hosting the install party at his house! He was a great host, even putting his beloved camaro out in the rain! :) (under a cover of course)

I will break it up so people like Jedi can read the whole thing :lol:

:spin:

First up was the boost gauge.

1. Instead of using the tap in Jedi’s thread, I did what Steve suggested and tapped the line that the car uses to control boost, off the intake manifold.

2. From there we ran the hose in between the battery and the fuse box, up into the tunnel in the wheel well.

At this point we had the first problem. Somehow the doors got locked and the keys were sitting in the cupholder. After breaking into the car with a long rod, we continued.

3. We used the larger of the two grommets inside the wheel well which comes out to the left (wall of the car) of the clutch pedal.

4. From there it was just a short run up through the dash to the A-pillar. The A-pillar cover is a PITA to get off, but once it was off it was very easy to hook up the vacuum/boost hose.

5. Next we soldered the wiring on the gauge to the wires which run to power, ground, and the running light relay.

6. The VEI gauge has the ability to dim when the running lights/headlights are turned on. We ran that wire to the same purple wire used for the foglight mod. We accomplished that mod while doing this one because it was easy to do.

7. All that was left now was to put the dash back together, and mount the pod. The pod is very well made and looks good, but I think that it needs another spot for adhesive. Right now it only sticks to the A-pillar. Because of that, it rattles on the other side. Right now I have some double-sided tape that works all right securing it, but it would be nice if it had a flat spot to adhere to.

I like the gauge a lot and have had a few compliments since the install. My one complaint about the gauge is that it could dim a little more. At the lowest setting (1 out of 10) it is still a little bright at night. The day setting is 5 and that is as bright as it would ever need to be. The AVO pod is great and looks very integrated, it just needs a second place to secure it so that it doesn’t rattle. I will get some more pics shortly...

550337251_VEIGauge.jpg.6cc7a1cf5b7f9d304b554cac4b2d7f31.jpg

1723567356_BoostGaugePic1.thumb.jpg.059eefcb54d0fe9a044b5dd320604b1c.jpg

238966714_BoostGaugePic2_2.JPG.a88f79596c3fc96f8498866e2e315995.JPG

1880761265_BoostGaugePic3_2.JPG.e17001cedb8346c9eb201785dd2f5e87.JPG

Next, the steering bushings.

We used this thread as a guide for the install, so thanks to Boxer for putting the instructions out there. Make sure you straighten the wheels at the beginning of this so if your steering shaft pulls out, it is easier to get it right when putting things back together.

1. After getting the front end up on jack stands, we took off the plastic undertray and the sub-frame brace.

2. Next we undid the 6 bolts holding the brackets for the bushings. This allowed us to get out the large passenger side bushing, but we had to loosen the bolt on the steering shaft to drop it far enough for the 2 driver side bushings. After loosening the bolt, the rack dropped enough. At this point the steering shaft was disconnected. (This leads to a slight problem later)

3. From here we used the handy bushing remover tool included with the bushings and removed the driver’s side bushings.

4. We lubed up the new ones, and put them in, making sure to get lube on the metal sleeve as well.

5. We then lubed up the passenger bushing and put it back, making sure the opening faced forward and the larger “walls: on the bushing were down. This bushing is a little more narrow than the stock one, but once you tighten everything down it fits.

6. From here, we wrangled around for a while trying to get the steering shaft reattached. We ended up tightening the brackets up to pull the rack in to place, then moving the steering wheel a little back and forth. It fell into place after some work.

7. Next, just put everything back together. (subframe brace and plastic undertray)

I have not notice any drawbacks to this mod. While I have not driven hard since doing it, the steering does seem more direct with little to no slop. For the money, it is definitely worth it. My one problem is that the steering wheel is fractionally off center, but hopefully I will fix that in the next few days. I do not have any pics of this mod, but there are lots on this thread.

Lastly, the brakes.

First, I will say that I do not think the stock brakes are that bad. The brake pad compound isn’t the greatest, but once you are used to it, I feel this car can brake with the best of them. (change the tires obviously)

I did the brakes to change the feel and add some higher temperature capability. I have the 2-piece iON rotors on order, so with that and DBA rear rotors, I will be done with the brakes.

I used Keefe’s thread as a guide for the brake line install. While the actual procedures are not hard, between not having the best tools and Subaru deciding to over-torque every connection on the car, this was the hardest install of the day. I am going to skip most of the steps since Keefe’s are great, and just try to offer advice.

GET A GOOD FLARE WRENCH. I got one from Autozone. BAD IDEA…

It was so bad that it was rounding, not the hardline nuts. Use lots of PB and quick jerks, not slow steady pressure.

It makes it a lot easier in the back if you undo the lines from the caliper and the main hardline, and then remove the line. There are two bolts holding the brackets and then you simply take it out and throw it in a vice. If you don’t the angles suck and you are 1000 times more likely to round the hardline nuts. On the last corner we did this. (after the flare wrench actually broke) I wish we had done it on the other side.

Changing pads/fluid is simple, it is in the manual and listed in a few places on the forum. We actually bled all 4 corners twice due to the amount of air in the front calipers/lines.

Review: The brakes are now extremely linear. I like the SS-Ms. Coming from Bobcats before now, I was worried about the lower COF on the SS-Ms. So far, I have not noticed it, and the upgrade from the stock pads’ COF is great enough that I am happy! :) The car now completely out brakes the Hankook IceBears. I do want to look into controlling dive next.

While the Endless Pads do not need bedding, I did want to mate them to the rotors, so I did 6-7 70ish-20ish stops with no rest in between. I then drove around to cool the brakes down. Steve commented that even as a passenger he could tell the brakes were different because they seemed much more immediate whenever I used them. That was partially a function of being used to the stock setup…

1665835203_BrakelineInstall1.thumb.jpg.8ceb6cf3f47304faa61e02c4dc2d23e4.jpg

1856224215_BrakePadsPic1_2.JPG.ad8f69fa8dd0143fe4308542f3210695.JPG

Now the funny story!

The one casulty of the day was skunk! :lol:

While we were out in the country doing the bedding/test drive, a skunk ran into the road. :eek: It was during the 2nd of the 70-20 braking runs. At about 30 mph Steve yelled look-out, and I noticed what I thought was a possum running into the road. If it had been smart, it would have kept going and made it. But instead, it looked at the car, and then tried to turn around. That was about when the anti-lock brakes kicked in as the front tire slid over the now dead skunk. :icon_twis I immediately accelerated back to 70 to continue the beak-in. :redface: As we were driving out we didn't smell anything, but on the way back we started to smell it. We verified that I did in fact run over it and kill it(from in the car of course), and then headed back to Steve's house.

Once there we examined the car and couldn't see any eveidence of the hit, but the wheel did not smell the greatest. Luckily, it was snowing/raining for my 1 hour drive back to my house, so the tire was clean when I got back!:icon_lol:

I added one pic from when we finished. It shows my BMW HID retrofit and cool yellow fogs...

Ted

1790828104_FinshedPic1.thumb.jpg.ee6ee6b1c4f0b4d4e9adc1c69d5e78aa.jpg

My one complaint about the gauge is that it could dim a little more. At the lowest setting (1 out of 10) it is still a little bright at night. The day setting is 5 and that is as bright as it would ever need to be.

Get a piece of window tint. Should do the trick.

ignore him, he'll go away.

^^^Good idea

I just went to Stage I last night also!!!!

It's like a new car!

Ted

True dat, true dat. I've read posts were some people said they barely noticed any improvements between stage I and stock. Well, my car must have been a dog from the factory, 'cause stage I was a kick in the pants!

ignore him, he'll go away.

Well...

I had them on two different cars, but here is what I have noticed.

1. The Bobcats have a slightly higher bite than the SS-Ms. I actually think I am glad the SS-Ms don't have that, because there is so much dive on the stock suspension that I would always be looking at the ground with a higher coeff of friction.

2. The SS-Ms dust less. Noticeably less than either stock or the Bobcats. This is nice.

3. Cold weather performance is the same. They are both fine after the 1st stop. The first stop is ultra grippy...

Now, the things that should make the SS-Ms even better than the Bobcats:

Longer life

Slightly higher temperature capability

Either one is a great upgrade, but I can definitely say I like the SS-Ms a lot and would do it again. It was worth the price difference :)

Ted

Just got some time to read this thread, Ted. I 'bout laughed my fat-ass off when you said that you'd locked your keys in the vehicle. :lol: Sounds like our install day's "luck" hasn't quite left you, yet. ;)

I'm so jealous that you're getting to do all these wonderful upgrades to your ride! The VEI gauge looks sweet, and definitely, it's good to hear of another Ohioan's input on the SS-Ms. I'm still trying to decide between the SS-M (many positive reviews here on LGT.com), SS-Y (more suited to my daily commute conditions and driving needs), or Vitas (recommended by many here, including Keefe, for what I'm seeking in terms of noise/dust levels).

Well, just wanted to drop a note to say "hi!" :)

-A

PS: Hey, those headlights look great! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks Allen! Yeah, the key thing is now hilarious, along with the skunk...

I like the "no" dust of the SS-Ms, and they have enough bite for me plus a lot of headroom for the track...

But they are expensive. I think you should do some Bobcats personally. You will be happy with them!

Ted

Bobcats definitely are among my top contenders, particularly at their low price point. What I am somewhat leery of is that a few members here have claimed that they are somewhat noisy. Although this won't bother me a bit, it'll drive the wifey nuts, for sure.....

The Endless pads certainly are expensive, but I'm at the point where I'm debating if they're going to be worth their premium, with the gains that I'd expect (not in terms of performance, for which even the stock brakes suit me perfectly well, but in terms of "other" benefits).

----

:lol: I wasn't even gonna go the way of the skunk for any type of jokes. :) Cleveland Heights is known for its skunk infestation, and I've been lucky so far!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Bobcats definitely are among my top contenders, particularly at their low price point. What I am somewhat leery of is that a few members here have claimed that they are somewhat noisy. Although this won't bother me a bit, it'll drive the wifey nuts, for sure.....

I replaced my heavily abused stock pads (had 3 track days on 'em) with Bobcats last fall and have experienced no noise at all from them. I did use both the inner and outer shims. Maybe others have left them off and that's contributing noise.

I plan to swap them Bobcats out for Carbotech's Panther Plus in the spring for warm weather use.

^ Thanks for the vote! :)

There definitely seems to be a majority here who have NOT had any noise problems with the Bobcats....it's just the few who do tend to give me pause - the "what if" factor, if you will.

I guess I'm just being stupid, as I could always turn around and sell the pads, albeit at a loss, if I do experience problems with my particular vehicle.

Archived