LegacyGT.com

2006 BMW 325xi in the snow

Hi Gang,

You may recall I had a Leg GT this summer, and dumped it because the driver's seat was killing me (after 12,000kms). Expensive test drive.

I finally got my '06 BMW 325xi on October 28th, and have driven about 9000 kms since then.

First of all the seat is very comfortable for me, so that issue is resolved. I took the AT, as I had in the Leg, and it is very smooth, and the manumatic is also very smooth.

Since the engine is naturally aspirated, it is quite different from the Leg, and it is a very smooth engine. The HP is only 215, but it can really kick in the higher rpm's. Not as neck-snapping as the Leg, but that's life.

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to drive the Leg in the snow, so a comparison isn't possible. What I can say is the xDrive in the BMW is astounding. On dry pavement, the system allocates 40:60. If you're screaming off the line the torque can go all they way to the back. If you need it in the front, the computer sends it up there. I'm ripping around on my Dunlop M3 winter Sports and having a blast. this car has trouble scaring me. The traction control rarely comes on, the xDrive is so sensitive to what is going on. I can definitely make the back end swing if I'm really gooseing it in a parking lot and countersteering, but other than that it is a very good system. Cornering, I basically point and shoot. The front tires lead, and if the back wheels slip, the fronts pull more.

Is it like this on the Subie in winter?

One thing I like better in the BMW is the light handling of the front end. I found the Leg was kind of heavy, in fact my hands were sore the first few weeks from gripping the Momo wheel. Maybe that was because of the crappy Potenzas.

The stock AS tires on the Bimmer are runflats. There is no spare! It is silly really, the only time one ever gets a flat is when there is no tow truck or dealership around to replace your tire.

The tires handle very well. I just have the stock 16" wheels and tires, and they are very sporty.

I haven't modified anything yet. I like the body as is, and there are no chips yet.

I did buy an XM radio, which has changed my life in the car!

Hope y'all are doing well 'round here and enjoying your Legacy GT's in the snow!

1946965397_backquarter.jpg.e445f722d53ca644a9e86abdef02113d.jpg

360805140_frontquarter.jpg.85e041d4086629a7cf015bd467dbcc83.jpg

Nice car, my brother is law has one, and I have pics of it next to the leggy on some thread around here.

I have driven it, and it is nice, but not my cup of tea.

One thing is missing from those pics though, where is the snow????

:munch:

GL

X

---

Nice car.

Can you delete the first pic or at least pixelate the rearend!!!It looks like it was rearended by Bangle himself.

Ha ha melayout, actually in person those tail lights are like big rubies, quite stunning indeed.

But let's leave style out of this thread, it's too subjective.

nice car, but if you option it out with xenons, nav, leather etc., in the US it stickers for about $47,000!!!:icon_surp

Quite true.

I'm Canadian, so I got the base model $42,600, with Adaptive Headlights ($495)(Xenon is standard), Cold weather package, which includes folding back seats and heated headlight washers (Standard on xi), . The Sparkling Graphite was $800 extra (sick of black), and I got the AT, wich was $1400 extra.

15% tax (yeah, 15%!!), and I was out the door at $53,000.cdn, or $46,000us.

I don't have a sunroof, leather or a CD Changer.

It does have an input for an iPod or similar, which is probably the way things are going in most cars anyway.

And, it has a telescoping steering wheel, which may have helped me find a better position in the Subie.

Nice car, my brother is law has one, and I have pics of it next to the leggy on some thread around here.

I have driven it, and it is nice, but not my cup of tea.

One thing is missing from those pics though, where is the snow????

:munch:

GL

X

Ha ha, plenty o'snow here, but I haven't shot any pics in the snow yet!!

no..thats is not how my leggy goes in the snow..pushing about 300 hp (engine) and 320 tq (engine) i cant get my f'n car to do anything fun in the snow..and thats with no traction control at all, just good tires and GAWD (good all wheel drive).

Are there times when you wish you had traction control? Just curious.

nice car, but if you option it out with xenons, nav, leather etc., in the US it stickers for about $47,000!!!:icon_surp

That would be for the 330xi loaded out, the 325xi with nav, xenons, Premium PKG, Sport PKG, and cold weather PKG still should slide in under $43,000. Most of the cars we build out in the 325xi come in right around 38K-39K.

Penguin, do you work for BMW?

And yes. A 330xi in Canada retails for about 48kcdn. Tons more amenities, but leather and Nav still add another 6k cdn.

Then there's the 15% tax, did I mention that?

The 330 gives 255hp, truly a thrill to drive.

I'm really happy with this car, it's the perfect balance between luxury, sportiness and practicality.

It is interesting that in the US Xenons aren't standard on the 325.

But in the US you can spec your BMW out a lot more item by item, which is nice.

actually he said it was for a 325xi. He had all the stuff you could want on it, sat radio, etc. MAybe it was for a wagon?

Probably not. I've got friends & family over Ontario and Quebec, and Canadians get ripped on cars. A friend of mine in London loved my LGT, but a similar car there would have been a LOT more, plus they never get many of the good financing deals that we get here.

Ron

Are there times when you wish you had traction control? Just curious.

Not as of too date. I guess if i have a wreck and everyone tells me TC would have saved me then yes. But if the car standard is is enough to keep me out of trouble, even with that much power, then i dont really see the need for the extra expense, or any weight it may add and driver input it may take away. I've already played with thresh hold braking and at 30 mph on fresh snow can stop right about exactly 2 car lengths less than just putting the pedal down and letting abs have its fun. So i think if you are a good driver TC is not really needed.

BTW, congrads on your sweet new ride....zim zima, who took da keys to my new pimp a$$ bimma.

actually this was in the states. It is astounding what you have to pay for options on bmws. e.g., 500 bucks extra for metallic paint?

Every manufacturer is different. If you line up a G35x or an I250 AWD against the Bimmer or a Subie, the least of standard features and options are all different. Wheras I had to pay for my paint, at least I had a telescoping wheel, xenons and an awesome traction control system. None is offered on the Legacy GT. Wheras I would have to pay for 255hp, I would get that standard on the LGT etc...so let's not turn this into a "what a ripoff BMW is" discussion.

Yeah, seats in a car a highly personal. With a number of long drives, including some 1,100-mile days, the LGT seats work for me. On other cars, seats that worked for me didn't work for other folks. It's almost one of those things that you can't determine until you live with a car for awhile.
Ron

definitely was not my intention to turn this into an anti-bmw thread. Congrats on the purchase!

You gotta be happy with what you drive. If I had a serious problem with my subie, I would change cars.

My point was that I have looked at BMWs thinking they could be in my price range, only to find how few things came standard which would push me out of my comfort zone. This is a common issue with many european cars.

I still find the paint thing surprising, and my issue with the price is that we are talking about a 3 series, not a 5 for what I consider 5 series money.

I looked at the BMW 3 series before getting the LGT, and I also found that to get anything non-standard it would get quite pricey for just the 325, (and to get the 330 it would be roughly $10-15k more than the LGT).

Archived