LegacyGT.com

Steering Responsive Fog Lights

From what I've read, Steering Responsive Fog Lights are included with EyeSight...and they illuminate turns when the turn signal is activated (but only when the fog lights are not activated).

How well does this feature work, in practice? Don't many drivers keep their fog lights activated all the time? (i.e., they become active when the headlights are active)

Thanks. For drivers who don't keep their fog lights activated all the time, is the light they cast when turning actually helpful?

Years ago, I had a Nissan Maxima that had 'turning lights'; i.e., lights to the rear of the turn signals that would actually cast light on the road about to be turned on to.

It does help a little bit, but sometimes I get annoyed by them because I don't want other drivers to think that something is wrong with the car behind them or whatever lol, so I usually turn them off unless absolutely needed... plus they are very sensitive to right/left turning so even if you turn the wheel the slightest either way, they will turn on.

I am going to check my settings and see if this feature can be turned off. I seem to remember seeing that you can uncheck that feature. When I want them on I'll turn them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be a "SRF" button located on the left side panel of where your steering wheel is located...that's where my button is to turn it off...

Or are you talking about turning it off completely? I couldn't find where that is but lemme know if you do :)

It does help a little bit, but sometimes I get annoyed by them because I don't want other drivers to think that something is wrong with the car behind them or whatever lol, so I usually turn them off unless absolutely needed... plus they are very sensitive to right/left turning so even if you turn the wheel the slightest either way, they will turn on.

This. I tried them for the first time a few weeks ago. It got annoying. Travel circles are big in this area and there's a double circle not far from my house. Going through that made the lights crazy. lol I'm not sure they really help.

I have this and used like, 2x, just to see how it works, it's nice, but not really much of a difference.

I just keep my fogs on whenever my lows are on, they cast more light directly in front of the car and to the sides of the road. More light on the road for me is always a good thing and the LED swap ins are better than the halogens, IMO.

I left my fogs off for a while as I feared my LED might bother oncoming traffic, so SRF was pretty nice. Eventually I started leaving my fogs on all the time and have yet to get flashed. If it used a separate bulb angled to the side or tilted the fogs when it activated it'd be more useful. The way it is it makes more sense to just run the fogs all the time.

My legacy didn't come with fog lights. I ordered the kit at subarupartsonline. I'm still waiting for delivery, so I can't confirm bulb, etc. So I assume it won't be the Steering responsive version. Just plain on\off switch. There are 2 different bulbs part numbers listed in the manual. Can anyone confirm ? Thanks

My legacy didn't come with fog lights. I ordered the kit at subarupartsonline. I'm still waiting for delivery, so I can't confirm bulb, etc. So I assume it won't be the Steering responsive version. Just plain on\off switch. There are 2 different bulbs part numbers listed in the manual. Can anyone confirm ? Thanks

Steering responsive is part of EyeSight so it will just be on/off. I think the Outback may use different bulbs, don't take my word on that though.

If you don't have EyeSight with your vehicle, the bulb type/base needed is H16.

If you have EyeSight, you need to use H11.

Got my kit. The bulbs were H16. Dealer installed the kit for $57 (w\tax).

I see in numerous posts, that the H11 are physical match with H16. The H11 are 55W and H16 are 19W. Are the housing assy the same for both types of fog lights (SRL and non) ?

I wonder if I need to factor the extra heat from H11. LEDs are in the future, Thanks !

• 1 year later...
Got my kit. The bulbs were H16. Dealer installed the kit for $57 (w\tax).

I see in numerous posts, that the H11 are physical match with H16. The H11 are 55W and H16 are 19W. Are the housing assy the same for both types of fog lights (SRL and non) ?

I wonder if I need to factor the extra heat from H11. LEDs are in the future, Thanks !

h11 fogs are glass and h16 plastic

• 1 year later...
Years ago, I had a Nissan Maxima that had 'turning lights'; i.e., lights to the rear of the turn signals that would actually cast light on the road about to be turned on to.

I had a 1995 Maxima with "cornering lamps" I loved. They were wired into the blinkers (not the steering) and were a separate light to illuminate the corner in the direction of your turn.

Found a Skoda video for all manner of options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbubF5aVyYE

I read in Canada, the 2017 Outback offers:

"Steering Responsive Fog Lights - These fog lights automatically turn on one side to improve visibility when cornering at night, so you can better see in dark and murky conditions...".

https://m.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=20863&Range=Legacy&ModelYear=2017

Yes, I searched my manual and Google.

Does the 2018 Legacy 3.6R equipped with Eyesight control fog lights during turns?

Do the fog lights move?

Do the fog lights only illuminate (when not always on)?

Do the fog lights do anything based on either steering or turn signals?

I had a 1995 Maxima with "cornering lamps" I loved. They were wired into the blinkers (not the steering) and were a separate light to illuminate the corner in the direction of your turn.

Found a Skoda video for all manner of options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbubF5aVyYE

I read in Canada, the 2017 Outback offers:

"Steering Responsive Fog Lights - These fog lights automatically turn on one side to improve visibility when cornering at night, so you can better see in dark and murky conditions...".

https://m.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=20863&Range=Legacy&ModelYear=2017

Yes, I searched my manual and Google.

Does the 2018 Legacy 3.6R equipped with Eyesight control fog lights during turns?

Do the fog lights move?

Do the fog lights only illuminate (when not always on)?

Do the fog lights do anything based on either steering or turn signals?

My 2016 Legacy 3.6R Limited is equipped with steering responsive fog lights, so I would imagine the 2018 is as well. The fog lights don't move. The left or right side lights up based on steering wheel input if they are not turned on with the switch on the dash.

Found this in the Eyesight Quick Guide 2018

https://www.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5B1814A_STIS.pdf

"Steering Responsive Foglights (SRF) (if equipped): When the vehicle’s headlights are turned on, or the headlights are in the automatic mode in the low beam position, foglights off, the Steering Responsive Foglights (SRF) system is active. The system monitors vehicle speed and steering angle and activates the left or right foglight independently, respective to cornering left or right. This helps provide increased visibility in the direction of the turn. The system functions independently from the turn signals and will not function if the turn signals are used. See the Owner’s Manual for complete details on system operation and limitations."

I still cannot tell I am part of "if equipped" - NO reference in Owner's Manual for "SRF"

https://www.subarunet.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1803A_STIS.pdf

1177316559_2018LegacyDashSwitches.thumb.JPG.280844ebc65cb55388257a574fea87d0.JPG

Archived