LegacyGT.com

2016 OEM Footwell Interior Illumination Kit

Didn't wanna thread jack so I started another thread. I was searching on the Cars101 page today and noticed the addition of an interior footwell illumination lot for the 2016 Subaru Legacy.

Looks like Subaru finally decided to add an OEM option for it.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/04/b65f85b9b1c4d715766b72b6f4bc0c14.jpg

Source: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2016.html#optionsindividual

Looks like color only comes in pale blue and costs $198.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit, I'd be curious to see what actually comes in that kit. Almost wouldn't surprise me if it's just some LED lights and a bit of wiring... maybe $10-15 in parts at the most.

I also wonder if the $189 includes the charge for installation at the dealership. If not, this is a ridiculous price!

I have to admit, I'd be curious to see what actually comes in that kit. Almost wouldn't surprise me if it's just some LED lights and a bit of wiring... maybe $10-15 in parts at the most.

I also wonder if the $189 includes the charge for installation at the dealership. If not, this is a ridiculous price!

According to the screen cap, that's the price for it to be installed from the factory. A dealer price, or item kit price, might be cheaper.

I wonder if it's just for the front footwells or for the rear footwells as well.

According to the screen cap, that's the price for it to be installed from the factory. A dealer price, or item kit price, might be cheaper.

I wonder if it's just for the front footwells or for the rear footwells as well.

If it's both, it's something I wouldn't mind looking into!

I know for my fog lights, the dealership wanted to charge $150 for installation, and it took me just over half an hour to do myself. If the wiring is already in there, I'd imagine the parts couldn't be too expensive at all... even at dealership prices.

Well, that answers that question... especially about the price!

$112.46 + $127.50 labor at Heuberger... either way too expensive for me. I happen to know a couple people that work at that dealership (it's where I bought mine from!) and can maybe get some details for what actually comes in the kit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
^^^why spend the $118 when you can do it yourself for under $10:confused:

Some folks are more comfortable with OEM stuff and to them, whats $120 to plug-n-play versus "doing electrical work" or possibly voiding your warranty

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine

Looks no different than the Impreza/Forester kit I installed in my Legacy. The wires are a bit longer and the lights mount a little differently. Harness pass through on the hazard switch is the same. Lots of pieces to disassemble, though. I was able to pop the center vent, plug in the harness, then snake the wires down to the footwells without removing anything. Plug-n-Play!

You can't void your warranty by doing this mod

Back when I had my Ford/Mercury Cougar I recall a few people on forums being fouled up by the dealer blaming their aftermarket LED lighting mods for why their headlights pulsed and refused to do anything about it.

In reality, that car had:

-a terribly located alternator (very bottom of a trvs mounted v6) that burned them out fast due to them getting wet constantly

-poor wiring for the voltage sense to the alternator

-insufficient gauge / poor wiring + crappy main fuse on the block carrying power from the alternator to the fuse box

-crappy main ground

It was a cluster that could only be resolved by rewiring what we called "The Big Three". IF you got yourself a better than basic AAparts alt. you'd be better staving off failures.

I personally changed FIVE alternators in the few years I owned that car and rewired my engine bay since the dealer refused to do anything about it.

Dealers were able to skirt the repairs on many by blaming mods.

Bull$hit if you ask me but a reasonable cause to stick with OEM.

That said, this is my first Subaru so I don't really know their position on these things; still learning as I read here on a daily basis

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine

Here is another pic of the Opt 7 Kit.. The kit comes with 2 remotes, 16 Color Options 4 LED Strip and the Option to connect to Door Switch so when doors open lights switch to white and come on.. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/25/5e1da494ea102dd498b95dd52059587b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Back when I had my Ford/Mercury Cougar I recall a few people on forums being fouled up by the dealer blaming their aftermarket LED lighting mods for why their headlights pulsed and refused to do anything about it.

When I brought my Legacy in for a repair with the SRVD back at the start of the year or so, a Subaru Engineer was telling me that the LED bulbs I installed in the interior might cause problems with the electrical system. That they were getting those problems with the WRX and STI models, with those who swapped in LED interior lights. He didn't say it would happen with my car, just to be aware of such.

No such problems yet, obviously. :cool:

Archived