LegacyGT.com

Wheels vs. pothole

Rickzack

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The hole was about 6-7 inches deep. Wife was driving on a 2 lane left turn. She was on the outside lane when the person on the inside lane decided to put half of their car into her lane. In an effort to avoid the other a$$ she dropped two wheels on to the side of the road. I would rather replace the wheels than left side of the car. Front right and rear right wheel were destroyed. Upside is new wheels and better tires. I will post a picture of the new wheels when I can find one.

dents are fine...

Cracked down the center? not so fine.

This is the second offense (documented on LGT.COM)

That is not traditional damage sustained from pot hole or otherwise, on an alloy that would be considered pretty malleable.

It the rim was cast iron we could expect that sort of damage

I would not say this is normal damage to break completely around the rim. I have seen worse at the track and the rims keep their integrity except for the dent. I cut the tire off the front rim and I now have a two piece rim.:icon_bigg The rear rim started to show the same type of cracking but not to the extent of the front.

dc20052005_0918(012).JPG.aca5b2a9ddd302e24369cbfec4ffa7cc.JPG

How's the suspension? Are you sure you didn't bend anything? I'm sure your alignment is off!:icon_bigg

Well, at least your wife is ok and you got a new set of rims and tires. Someone did the same thing to my wife- majorly curbed 2 rims and needed a new alignment.

tom

tom :)

The amazing part is the car suffered no damage other than the right side wheels and tires. Nothing bent and the alignment shop says everything is in spec. I would say the legacy is pretty robust. If I would have done the same in my S2000 or Volvo, my repair bill would have been much more.

2 weeks before, my teenage son hit a different hole with the volvo wagon, poped the tire and I have to get a camber bolt for the right front in order to get that side into spec, damn Ford.

I am just chalking this up to sh-- happens. It could have been a bad casting or if county I live in would take better care of the roads or if people would stay in their own lane.:icon_bigg On the other hand, this car suprises many other drivers.:icon_bigg

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I tell my wife to always avoid the potholes in the road, even the small little imperfections. To create good habits...You think she listens? Nooooo.

Seriously though, 6-7 inches is not that deep of a pothole. I mean C'mon go look on a ruler or something. There are other factors of course, but I don't think should have happened, and I would be sure to take the time to send SOA of America those pictures so they can keep track of this. Never know there could be alot of cases we haven't heard about and there may be a recall in certain areas for certain rim productions runs.

The local DPW should know too..Sometimes they will chock up and pay. It is their responsibility to keep the roads safe...With your tax $$.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

6-7 is about 1/3 of the rim + tire!!! Not that deep?!!

Edit: Obviously, it also depends on the length/width of the pothole, which in this case looks like it was wide and long enough to swallow the wheel.

The wheel is 24 inches, so it more like a 1/4 of the wheel/tire. Either way, like you (and I) said earlier, it depends on the pothole. I would still think the wheel would not shatter like this...But again, lotsa variables here.

I still think someone at subaru should at least anwer to this...Lord knows if you did something to cause it through a mod or something they would be quick to swipe your warranty or something or point fingers.

Archived