LegacyGT.com

Tech articles on Subaru CVT

fishbone

Thought some of you will find this interesting. I am making my way through them.

Transmission Digest, October 2013 page 8

http://www.transmissiondigest.com/members1/online/tdmembers.php

And also here

http://www.gearsmagazine.com/resources/issues/130341977950902000.pdf

Transmission digest says:

The CVT that was developed for Subaru is a major departure from all transverse-mounted CVTs. This new design unit, called a Lineartronic, hit the streets in 2010. To say that a Lineartronic is a monster would be an understatement. The unit could probably fit right into a Sherman tank

• 5 months later...

Your question is too vague to answer.

Are you asking if you're buying a used unit, how you can tell if it was ever taken apart? Easy. There currently are no procedures or replacement parts on the market to allow this, so most units you're going to find are working pulls from other cars rather than rebuilt. To rebuild a transmission is costly in a lot of labor hours alone, and this will be reflected in the price. In other words you're not buying a rebuilt trans for under 3K.

If you're asking specifically about the valve issue on earlier units which wears out and causes the torque converter to be in full lock-up at all times, that's something that the dealer would know.

Your question is too vague to answer.

Are you asking if you're buying a used unit, how you can tell if it was ever taken apart? Easy. There currently are no procedures or replacement parts on the market to allow this, so most units you're going to find are working pulls from other cars rather than rebuilt. To rebuild a transmission is costly in a lot of labor hours alone, and this will be reflected in the price. In other words you're not buying a rebuilt trans for under 3K.

If you're asking specifically about the valve issue on earlier units which wears out and causes the torque converter to be in full lock-up at all times, that's something that the dealer would know.

Specifically asking how to find out if the factory CVT in my car is pre or post fix. I have a 2013 with a specific VIN, there should be a database that correlates that VIN to whether it received the updated CVT or not. All the dealer can say is 'yours isn't showing that TSB'. We all know TSBs aren't definitive.

Archived