LegacyGT.com

30k Tranny Fluid Flush...

This is how my tranny oil drain plug looks like at 30k miles.. not too bad at all (in fact, that's very good) considering that out of the 30k miles has about 500 track miles, around 100 autocross miles, and 300 miles on the Dragon. I replaced my stock tranny fluid with Redline 75w90 with the LSD additive.. (takes about 7 qts total, about 6 in the tranny and at least 1 in the rear differential).

We'll see how much more filings I get from rev-matching and heel-toe work.. so enjoy the pics:

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7527/img01259fi.jpg

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3209/img01262jq.jpg

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3032/img01275fz.jpg

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7841/img01285ah.jpg

Keefe

Is the gray thing on top the magnet or sludge, been awhile since I looked at a Tranny drain plug I can't remember. Probably been 2 years since I did it on the WRX and I have awhlie to go before doing it to the Legacy.

it's the finer metal shavings and oil mixed...

Keefe

I did some flushing while I was at it so I made sure I got the old fluid out and new fluid it... I opened up a total of 7 bottles.. but the final bottle was really to just top things off.. I pressurized the first 2 quarts using a grease gun and just hosed the hell out of the rear diff and tranny... (you can buy an adapter to screw on and cap off the two openings for filling up.)
Keefe

........And how do you fit 6 qts of fluid in a trans that calls for 3.7? I just did my trans and after 3.5 it was full.

Sounds like he used the first 2 quarts to flush the gears, and then discarded that. If not, then his trans is way overfilled and will be blowing some seals.

Basically.

Unless you took the trans apart, using a grease gun and "spraying" whatever you can reach inside the trans wouldnt do anything productive. So more or less it was a waste of fluid.

Keefe, you should be more specific so you dont go around misleading people.

The above discussion has been about manual transmissions. You definatley cannot use gear oil in you AT! IIRC, the AT cars have separate fills for the front differential and transmission. Obviously the tranny gets ATF (probably just Dexron III, but you need to double check) and the front diff needs GL5 gear oil.

Will the fluids mentioned above be ok for a 5EAT or should I only use the Subaru ATF?

ATF is different than MT-Gear Oil.. as I last recall, ATF is also used for Power steering, so no, you can't use MT-gear oil for ATF.

On a side note, brake fluid is also used for clutch fluid.

Keefe

I would think the center diff would have its own oil since in the AT its an electronically controlled diff

The above discussion has been about manual transmissions. You definatley cannot use gear oil in you AT! IIRC, the AT cars have separate fills for the front differential and transmission. Obviously the tranny gets ATF (probably just Dexron III, but you need to double check) and the front diff needs GL5 gear oil.

Will the fluids mentioned above be ok for a 5EAT or should I only use the Subaru ATF?

Make sure you buy the ATF for the 5EAT from Subaru, not the 4EAT. It is a different formulation than what is used in the power steering fluid. I just got the ATF, and diff fluids changed last week in my 5EAT.

• 2 weeks later...
This is how my tranny oil drain plug looks like at 30k miles.. not too bad at all (in fact, that's very good) considering that out of the 30k miles has about 500 track miles, around 100 autocross miles, and 300 miles on the Dragon. I replaced my stock tranny fluid with Redline 75w90 with the LSD additive.. (takes about 7 qts total, about 6 in the tranny and at least 1 in the rear differential).

That actually looks extremely good given that most of the metal was probably from the first 1000kms. When I dumped my factory fill at 2700km I had almost the same amount of metal on the plug. I refilled with Amsoil SVG but found that it was too stiff shifting below 5C. At 9000km I dumped the Amsoil and refilled with redline 75w90ns and found roughly 1/10th the metal compared to the first fill. The funny thing is the car shifts acceptably in the cold now but get scratchy feeling when it is above 10c.

One thing that scares me about our transmissions is the amount of metal that shows up on the magnets. I've rebuilt a couple Maxima transmissions and the metal you find on the internal magnet (none on the drain plug) is less after 130-140k, with a cracked dif bearing, than what we have after a couple thousand. Hopefully what I'm observing is just break-in wear...

Archived