LegacyGT.com

The EJ255 Engine Failure and my Horror story.

I'm running uel borla header, magnaflow catback, cobb catted dp,cobb uncatted up, K&N Typhoon,Bullet Proof TMIC,GFB BOV 50/50. stage 2 93 oct OTS cobb Map, stock turbo and injectors. But i believe this happened before i modded the car.

at around 32k miles i was driving to bj's and bumped into an infinity G35 we did a quarter mile WOT on the Eastchester bridge in the Bronx, half way in it i felt a lose of power but for a millisecond but then it was fine. then the oil lose started and it got worse and worse now it's a quart every 500 miles. so i did a compression test on piston #4, tested at 75 psi. no smoke, no knock. but i needed a hitch in the back with an oil tanker and hose connected to the engine :p. That's way i Did The Test. called msprank at infamous and i asked him the question. rebuild!!!! or buy a ej257 block? he seed rebuild your block it's the same block as the 06 sti. they use cp's on all there builds and acl bearings. call mike at AZP installs he stated. but when i called mike i was told, we are not rebuilding engines anymore.

After reading threads on hear from OutbackXT05, Max Capacity and PMing and speaking to msprank at infamous, i decided to rebuild. Why?

with the EJ257 you get a Refurbished block with new oem pistons, rods, bearings, and nitrated crank. for $1,645 here for 10103AC030.

with the Ej255 rebuild after bore and honing $250.00 you get to chose what goes in the sti block like forged pistons with different sizes and compression ratios, race bearings, keep your rods and crank like i did. if your going to run over 400 HP+ if you want you can chose H Beam rods and a nitrated oem crank or what ever flouts your boat.

Enter week #1: Me (The Puertorican) removed the engine with my friend and mechanic Tony bombo (The Jamaican) and waited for my friend and mechanic Freddy (The Dominican) for tare down,it was like THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY!:lol: lmfao. but couldn't take the cams Bolts off, so we left the heads on. we put it on the dally and one inner cover broke :eek: next day we put the engine in my wife's 2011 outback so Freddy could take it to the machine shop that he recommended (he told me he had done Subaru heads there). when we put it in his range rover the other inner cover broke :mad:.

I had called the machine shop and asked for prices and if he had experience with subaru Engines. i'll do both heads for $250.00 and block for $250.00 Ok Not BAD.

Simon at the machine shop called me and he told me i can't take the cam bolts off:confused: so i called msprank he seed there is a shop on youtube that show how to take them of so i found 2 videos.

1- [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjZ0XtLYtzc]Subaru Cam Bolt Removal by Outfront Motorsports Inc. - YouTube[/ame]

2- [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WPpfISk3cg]How To Remove Subaru Cam Bolts - YouTube[/ame]

so we were going with number #2 video. after work freddy and i showed up at the machine shop, and with simon we started removing the passenger side intake cam bolt. Simon says lets do it with this pipe wrench :confused: i say we have a better way, Freddy says lets try it, simon held the cam from inside the head with thhe pipe wrench and Freddy got the bolt lose ;) while trying to loosen the cam bolts from the exhaust cam simon did not hold back and let the wrench lean on the edge of the head and cracked the head. Simon Tells Me Don't worry, take it to the other machine shop to get it welded.

:eek::ohhh::nono::soap_box::rtfm::argue: They Are Still Alive :icon_evil

That Night I got another passenger side head from a friend and Subaru Engine Builder Greg in Queens machined and ready to go $450.00. next day I Get a call from Simon, and he tells me if you need to bore and hone for forged Pistons i you have to take it to another machine shop :eek: WTF! after work i went and got my engine and toke it to Greg.

what a pain in the nut sack.

parts list.

NKG iridium lX plugs stock#6619

STI 11mm oil pump

killer B Oil pickup

ACL rod and main bearings standard

gates racing timing belt kit no pump

PCV Valve

STI thermostat

red line assembly lube

subaru fujibond engine sealer

From Infamous Performance & Tuning Thanks Msprank

subaru overhaul gasket kit

Oem radiator hoses

new cam bolts

Oem water pump

new inner timing covers

both radiator hoses

4 valve cover hoses

1 block hose

From Heuberger Subaru

APR head studs

From Lightning Motorsports.com

Week #2. Greg got the engine from the machine shop and started assembly, Friday night when i got to his house he was finishing piston install so i told him, lets put in the heads, water pump and oil pump. We had some bears and when finished loaded the engine in the outback and took it home :).

Saturday, after 4.00pm we started to installing the intake manifold and tried to make some progress, we got snagged with the lines that we forgot under the manifold so we took it off. buy night fall we were no were close to having the engine ready for install the next day and turbo inlet hose was bad and tmic out hose was drenched in oil and going bad.

Sunday, went to Walk for Autism at citi field for my God daughter. after that i went to Greg's house to get both inlet turbo hose and tmic outlet hose for $50.00 in new condition, it's another + year but i made it work.

When i got back Freddy was working on the engine and tells me that the driver side head is missing an oil line in the front so we can't put the inner timing cover on, so back to Greg in Queens to get the line and banjo bolts :rolleyes:. we noticed that we left out some more stuff under the manifold. we got back and took out the manifold again. we decided to leave it for the end and continued with timing belt, we put on the new pulleys and when we're going to put on the Tensioner the bracket is missing :eek:. so guess were the bracket was? I Called Greg and asked him about the bracket. he tells me hold on let me check my work bench, oh it's here :mad:. WOW. we called it Quits buy that time and every one went home.

Week #3. Monday went to get the stupid bracket at Grag's in Queens after work. ordered the 4 hoses for the valve covers and the block breather hose that looks like a bent S.

Thursday, We finally got the engine together and I took Friday off ;). Went over the engine before putting it in the car and found some loose bolts. got the engine in the car. every thing went smooth, put in all fluids and started the engine for the brake in. Its Running Yea! but had valve noise, Ran it for 40 minutes And 10 Minutes at 2500Rpm's shut it down and let it cool. Sunday took it out to do the brake in on second and third at 4000RPM's for 5 miles, Got it back changed the oil. valve noise went down some.

Week #4. Monday i went to work and Friday got some gas and put in some Lucas gas treatment and the car runs smoother now. i got almost no valve noise at 145miles.

IMG1485.jpg.54a0835f4bc35bc11205d73a727354a0.jpg

IMG1486.jpg.edbc0ef0717952eacd0c2fc60b2c7926.jpg

IMG1488.jpg.0eeb9f7e93b2ff6ebe21decfd4d180cf.jpg

IMG1489.jpg.07eac4dfdeddc61bc8c5b0a22e90d2c9.jpg

IMG1490.thumb.jpg.4800f0154b183920868bf4d67458b73e.jpg

20130503_205111.jpg.c11197eb3c994f5e27ddd942a7bf3b8f.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear your troubles.

Good Luck

I stopped by my buddies shop yesterday, he showed me a ej255 they are building for a local guy who runs his car at Lime Rock.

The block looked beautiful, the machine surfaces looked like they just came from the factory.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Damn sorry to hear! Never knew how unreliable the subi engines were until I got my legacy! Wish they would starting making some higher quality engines already! Been reading lots of brz nightmares popping up as well already.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Damn sorry to hear! Never knew how unreliable the subi engines were until I got my legacy! Wish they would starting making some higher quality engines already! Been reading lots of brz nightmares popping up as well already.

Remember there are a lot of us that get great mileage out of our engines. Think of what the BRZ is being used for, I doubt a 20 something that buys one is using it to take the kids to soccer practice, or more like they think they are boy racers...

As for the EJ25's look at how many are out on the roads everyday without issue.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yeah I guess that's true. Just never heard so many cases with any previous cars I've owned I guess. Think I've been spoiled with how good the S2000 engine has been!

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Really the only weak point is the pistons. I dont know why subaru chose to use cast pistons in these. A lot of turbo cars come factory with forged pistons. Have you seen the timing belt trick for getting those cam gears off? Ive used it on 3 differnt motors no issues. Those pistons look like the ones from my first motor.

Yeah I guess that's true. Just never heard so many cases with any previous cars I've owned I guess. Think I've been spoiled with how good the S2000 engine has been!

Every Honda I've had has been rock solid on the motor.

Yeah wish the subi could handle the same power/boost as the made for NA Honda engines can. 183k miles in my s2000 and making over 400whp still supercharged on bone stock motor!

I'd love this legacy with 400/400 stock motor reliably! Would be a beast!

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

This^^^^^^^. The tune is everything & keeping fluids at the correct level & matching oil & filter with OCI used. Is key for long motor & turbo life. See sig. below.

Best of luck with new build.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Go back and read from Week #2. so you can laugh some more. And Thanks

Your welcome, I had another PM like yours the other day. Your not the only one with machine shop issues.

I'm so thankful I'm close to a great machine shop and a great Tuner.

The engine looks great inthe picture nice and shiny.

Good Luck with her.

Your welcome, I had another PM like yours the other day. Your not the only one with machine shop issues.

I'm so thankful I'm close to a great machine shop and a great Tuner.

The engine looks great inthe picture nice and shiny.

Good Luck with her.

I Need info on your tuner pm me i'll go to him. I'm in Bronx

too many mods for stage2 OTS Cobb MAP

tow to a tuner

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Archived