LegacyGT.com

97 LGT constant misfires after repairs

So i have a 97 legacy GT 2.5L wagon. It has 155,552 miles on it now. I did the timing belt, water pump, head gaskets, crank seal, oil pump seal, o2 sensor, ignition coil, spark plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, and still i have a cylinder 2,4 missfire. The work was done at separate times but the head work was done at the shop.

I think the only thing left to do is the injectors. But if that fails what is there left to do? Im confused and dont understand it. Any help?

97 Legacy GT wagon

Is your ignition coil new? Make sure the injector wires are plugged in all the way, sounds stupid but I got my care back from the mechanic and they didn't do that. I was getting 1 and 3 misfire, and checked their work to find them just barely hanging on.

From my experience if all of your stuff is in good working order then injectors seem like the next logical step.

Yeah more info needed, like johnegg asked did it have a misfire right after the headgaskets were done? If it didn't them you can swap the injectors from bank 1 (#1&3 cylinders) and if the misfire changes then you know for sure the injectors are bad. I doubt it's the injectors because for one they rarely fail and the chances both on one bank would fail at the same time is slim. Check the injector connectors.

Yea they returned it to me with a cylinder 2,4 missfire. It had the missfire before. And they told me it was the ignition coil. I replaced it and it still missfire for the same two cylinders. I checked the wires there fine. Checked the ignition coil its good. He told me the heads and valves were good. So im at a lost.

97 Legacy GT wagon

coils do not fail very often, but of course they can, any part can fail.

but when they do fail, it is usually either the front two cylinders or the rear two cylinders that have trouble. cylinder 2 & 4 are both on the driver side of the car. this does not indicate a coil problem. typically, if it is not plugs and wires, this indicates a timing problem. but since you just got the car back from the shop, they would have to be a pretty crappy shop to mess up the timing.

so, we are going to assume the shop you took the car to is reasonably competent. especially since the miss was there before they worked on the car.

move one of the plug wires from the left side of the engine to the right side of the engine. if the miss moves with the wire, then we have our answer.

the leading cause of misfires after major engine work is the timing is off.

BUT, the leading cause of misfires (without major engine work) is the plug wires. plugs is the number two cause. plugs and wires probably account for 90% of misfires when no major engine work is involved.

so move a plug wire. this is pretty easy. you can do it yourself, or with help from your spouse.(if you have one)

these engines are a little picky about plugs and wires. plugs should be NGK platinums, and the wires should be subaru from an online dealer (to save $$), or a very, very, HIGH quality alternative. cheap plug wires will give you headaches, as well as misfires. sometimes right out of the box.

move a plug wire and let us know what you learn. you can move both if you want, just do them one at a time so you do not mix them up.

Archived