LegacyGT.com

Would you buy?

This is a question that is actually from the other side of the looking glass.

I currently have my 2005 Legacy GT for sale, and I have gotten 3 offers on it all lowball, and all 3 people said the same thing, that it needs tires (They have the summer left in them, and that is about it) and it needs brakes.

Now, the question I have, it is worth it for me to replace the brakes and tires on the car preemptively? Or is this just people using tactics to try to get me to lower the selling price. Like if I replace the tires and rotors, they will try to find some other reason to lower the price of the car, or do people genuinely want brand new brakes / tires on a car and they are willing to pay a premium to not have to do it themselves?

Kinda hard to say without knowing what you're selling it for and what you consider a low ball offer.

That said, a prospective buyer will try to get you to lower the price if they feel that the tires don't have much left on them.

but, generally speaking. Would you pay more for a car that has new tires and brakes over a car that doesn't? I'm trying to figure out if it is cost effective, much like remodeling a home, doing the bathroom / kitchen can pay dividends if you are selling, where doing other stuff doesn't add any value.

I was looking at a car (my car now) and i brought it to a shop and they said it needed tires and brakes. The guy went down $1000. And I bought it.

Yes I would want a lower price if it needs tires/ brakes. Because thats money I have to spend right off the bat to a car that I JUST bought.

Lower the price half of whatever a new set of tires is, say $375. This allows them to feel they made some sort of deal and also lets them choose what type of tire they want to put on next
torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

I would rather have the cost reduced as I'm particular about the tires that I ride on. I'm not knocking them, but the Pep Boys brand wouldn't cut it for me. Not that I am saying those are what you would put on there. Plus when I buy a used car, the first two things that I buy are new tires and brakes.
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

+1 on TTG and Coppertone ... lower the price as a compromise, let the new buyer choose the tires and brakes.

I'm trying to do that, but people want to think that $2500 off the asking price is a reasonable number for tires and brakes.

My whole dilemma is that people say it needs new tires / brakes and then they make it seem like they want to put DBA 4000 brakes and Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tires on the car.

even that isnt even 2500 :lol:

With labor it might be, lol.

I guess I can play it by ear for now, but when I offer to knock the price down by only $500 for tires and brakes, and they balk at it because they want better tires or brakes that is what makes me want to put tires and brakes on the car.

thats why when ever you sell a car privately you always set the asking price about $500 more than what your really looking for. so that way you already have that as a buffer to drop the price.

makes the buyer feel like they got an even better deal and you still get close to what you want out of it.

also if they are seriously asking for $2500 off. there may be a reason. what are you asking for the car and what is the kbb value. most people wont come out and say "your car isnt worth that" so they will look for reason to cut the price like crazy

as well if you are around the kbb and they want $2500 off seriously for tires and brakes ask them where they think brakes and tires cost that much. as a seller you are only resposible to replace with oe rated parts. dba or hawks are not in that category

thats why when ever you sell a car privately you always set the asking price about $500 more than what your really looking for. so that way you already have that as a buffer to drop the price.

makes the buyer feel like they got an even better deal and you still get close to what you want out of it.

also if they are seriously asking for $2500 off. there may be a reason. what are you asking for the car and what is the kbb value. most people wont come out and say "your car isnt worth that" so they will look for reason to cut the price like crazy

as well if you are around the kbb and they want $2500 off seriously for tires and brakes ask them where they think brakes and tires cost that much. as a seller you are only resposible to replace with oe rated parts. dba or hawks are not in that category

I'm asking a little less than blue book, but people just keep asking me if I've heard of NADA, and the NADA value XXXXX, what I keep having to explain is, NADA only gives Trade in value or retail value, and I'm priced pretty close to the NADA retail, and below the private party blue book, so I guess I'll just wait it out. I could always offer to install the brakes and tires if they want if they get to my asking price.

I'm priced pretty close to the NADA retail, and below the private party blue book

This means KBB is crap and you're overpriced.

Doesn't mean it won't sell at all, it might, but it will also take a longer.

NADA is based on recent dealer auction values and a lot more accurate than KBB.

If you want to sell it in reasonable time - price it between NADA clean trade-in and retail and add $500 for bargaining.

Archived