LegacyGT.com

Thinking on buying 08 LGT

kc sly

I have found an 2008, LGT with 49K and the dealership is asking 17995. I'm thinking I can get it down another grand or so. Is there anything about the 2008's I should be warned of? Car looks straight, and low miles for the year. When test driving anything particular I should be listening for in regards to the turbo? This car has no mods, thank goodness. Thanks for any help and advice!

• 2 weeks later...

The 1st thing you need to do with a GT is remove the filter in the oil feed line to the turbo. It gets clogged and kills the turbo. Subaru issued a service/tech bulletin #02-106-08R that you can Google. Subaru recommends replacing the filter but you don't need it so just remove it. Its in a banjo bolt. You can but the same banjo bolt without the filter for about $5 and you're done. With only 49K miles the filter is probably getting very dirty.

The diffs need to be serviced regularly so just make sure that its been done. Sound like a nice car. Good luck.

Sounds like a good deal. Yup, check service records and carfax.

There are different schools of thought on the banjo filter. Don't sweat that too much.

Mine was clean at 80k when I did a turbo change for a frozen wastegate. I left the filter in the new banjo I installed.

This is the big question. You like working on cars ? These are definitely cars that will require attention, and may drive you mad at times. You will spend money and time maintaining it. Really nice car though. I like mine more everyday...especially since I changed the intake gaskets a couple of weeks ago and finally got rid of the stutter/stumble/poor idle issue mine had.

Now I just have to prepare to do the timing belt service.....

This site will be invaluable to you if you decide to purchase !

^ What they have said. Regarding the maintenance, just check the fluids, top off the oil, use good syth oil - Rotella T6 is recommended, though people run dino with no issues. I don't check everything daily, once I week I'll check the oil (or twice a week when filling up with gas). I've flushed most of the fluids myself. So if you are somewhat of a car guy and mechanically inclined you shouldn't have any issues. I have an 07 with 72 miles on it, runs like a champ. And just got my 2013 3.6R, love that too. Nice alternative if you don't want to deal with or worry about a turbo - or the amount of heat from the engine bay to the front seats. :)

I have found an 2008, LGT with 49K and the dealership is asking 17995. I'm thinking I can get it down another grand or so. Is there anything about the 2008's I should be warned of? Car looks straight, and low miles for the year. When test driving anything particular I should be listening for in regards to the turbo? This car has no mods, thank goodness. Thanks for any help and advice!

Thats pretty low milage, but you can probably get it down a grand-ish with some good negotiating. Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Go Cardinals!

• 2 weeks later...
08's aren't too bad but 09's are nicer. 08's have an ugly big key and no harman kardon sound system and other stuff.

The HK stereo isn't anything special. Its decent enough, but is definitely a notch below the factory radio in a Volvo/Audi/BMW/MB.

Archived