LegacyGT.com

93 Legacy electrical issues

I took on the task of doing a Heater core job by myself yesterday, it was quite a process to get it all apart then back together again. Once i had put the dashboard back together and hooked the battery back up i started the car. It ran fine but the dash lights were not illuminating, nor was the radio working. It was late and i thought i had maybe missed a connector in the poor lighting, so i decided i would go through and see if i could find it today..

I went through and removed the dash again today and made sure i did not miss anything, put it back together and i am still having the same issue.

I think i am missing a connection somewhere and would appreciate any input on what connector or grounding wire (?) maybe causing my issue, here is a short list of what works and what doesn't..

:mad: Doesn't work: Center console lights, main dash bulbs including check engine and brake light, the radio does not turn on(it is plugged in), the fuel gauge, Tachometer, Temp gauge, Turn signals, lighter socket, rear window defrost, power mirrors and hazards do nothing. also the power seatbelts don't move

:rolleyes:Works : Headlights, brights, tail lights, brake lights, interior dome lights, fan controls, power windows, wipers and washer fluid. The "door ajar" light on the instrument panel does work. and the cruise control switch lights up but i don't know if it works because after driving the car about 4 miles it died due to what seemed to be the battery dying.. now it sits at home and i don't know where to start.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
It sounds like one of the connectors on the cluster is not in properly. Don't let that door ajar light fool you into thinking the whole cluster is plugged in. There are several connectors on the cluster. The battery not charging was the big clue. The battery will not charge with the cluster unplugged.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived