LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT questions

I totaled my 2006 Impreza 2.5i last weekend, and have already come across a replacement-- a 2005 Legacy GT with 43,000 miles on it. My only concern is that the previous owner had made some modifications to the car. I'm not sure the type of parts they put on, but they upgraded the exhaust to a dual exhaust system on both sides, as well as an upgraded intake, and a blow off valve. I'm waiting to get the CarFax emailed to me, including the service reports so I probably will have more information in about a day or so.

The asking price is $13,000, and I'd say that's pretty reasonable.

My question to you guys is-- if I take it to a Subaru dealership to get it inspected before purchase, would they be able to tell me if the mods will hurt the car later on?

Side note, I was told the O2 meter is messed up, so that will be replaced since the check engine light has been on for a while. Is this an indication of an improper exhaust system installation?

p.s--I don't know much about cars...

p.s--I don't know much about cars...

In that case, a modified LGT is not a good choice. :)

The mods listed do not really indicate the owner knew what he was doing with the car. It sounds like you'll be buying his headache, and that could get expensive. Is the car tuned? It MUST have a tune with any aftermarket intake.

Where are you located? You could ask here for referrals to places near you that know Subarus including mods and tuning.

I'm going to school in boulder colorado, the car is located in englewood colorado (just outside of Denver). Any good shops near these two areas would suffice.

OP lucky for you your in CO, tons of great subie guys/shops in the area. You can check the rocky mtn area for the recommended shop thread to get some ideas. Or I would send a PM to Cryo (Dave) a great local turner that might check it out, or 5250 performance in Longmont.... or just post up this same thread in the local section and I'm sure you'll find guys willing to help.

I just saw that car FS online, it has a stromung exhaust (nice) and boost and oil guages in the cubby so I'm sure this car was at least stage 2, and was put back to "stock" before they traded it in. There are no under the hood pics which would help. But for that many miles and price I would def inquire further. You might even post up the FS listing in the rocky mtn section and see if a fellow member had owned this car. Could be saul_good's old car, looks similar. Good luck on the research

Apparently this car doesn't have a catalytic converter... Took it to a subaru dealership to get it inspected, failed their inspection. The guy I was going to buy it from said they didn't know what they were talking about, so I had him go get an emissions test, failed that--they said it didn't have a catalytic converter as well. So... No deal anymore

OP I would use that "negative" info against the dealer to get a smokin price on it. You can easily pick up and or even borrower a stock dp with a cat to pass emissions. Lots of guys run w/o cats. I would take it to a subi shop that is mod friendly like 5250 performance, have them inspect it, pull a learning view to make sure the tune is at least kinda healthy and go from there. If you get the car you can get it returned from many reputable sources for like $150 (Cryo Performance, Infamous, Torqued perf...) If you chose to not get this car let us know, I'll be in the market for a new to me LGT in a few months and I'll keep it on my radar :)

So I'm not sure if the dealer is an idiot or was lying to me. I took it to the Subaru dealership and they said it didn't have a cat. Then the owner said that the LGT had a specialized cat that the Subaru place didn't recognize. So that's when I had him get an emissions test and they said it also didn't have a cat. So I talked to the owner today and he was sayin "I've been burned like this before with cats, so I'm gunna try and get my money back from the auction. Car is no longer for sale." So I'm just going to continue my search from a less sketchy dealer haha.

hmmm, maybe I'll contact the dealer and see if I can buy it for his auction purchase price, I'm sure it would be a smokin deal and they may do it if the auction place wont let him return the car, just have him break even. But yes he does sound like a idiot and a LGT w/o a cat, boost and oil pressure guages, debadged just means to me that a enthusiast owned it before

There are turbo kits for the NA Subarus, but you should have a decent level of mechanical knowledge to even consider tackling it and at the end of the day your results aren't in the ballpark of a stg2 LGT.

Patience, wait for an LGT. There's an LGT wagon 5mt at stg3 for sale right now in CO, in the marketplace right now.

Archived