Hello all, I'm new to these forums having just purchased an '05 Legacy GT for a daily driver to save my Porsche 944S from winter salt.
I looked for a while to find a clean, low-mileage LGT and a few days ago I picked up an '05 auto sedan with only 59K on the odometer. All was well on the drive home, and then the next day I tried to start the car and it was completely dead. It still had the factory battery so I figured it was probably just due for a replacement, and bought a new battery. After installing the new battery, everything was fine and the car started and ran great. Then, only a few hours later, the car was dead again. Not even a click from the starter solenoid, no dash lights, nothing.
Now I know there's a problem. So, I let the battery charge overnight and then after work today I get out my multimeter and start hunting for a parasitic draw. I find that there is a 14+ amp draw with the engine off, lights off, doors closed, and key out. That is a crazy high draw.
My first guess is a leaky alternator diode, so I disconnect the alternator output and re-test. No change. Then, I pop open the engine bay fusebox and see that the main fan relay has electrical tape on it. So I pulled that relay and, lo and behold, the 14A draw stops.
The relay appears to be functioning correctly when I test continuity between the terminals, and when I apply current to the switch. I went online and did some research and it seems there was a recall for fan relays but apparently it only affected the MT models. Mine is an automatic.
I have ordered a new relay just because the old one had a damaged casing (hence the electrical tape) but I am pretty confident that just replacing the relay won't help anything. I'm concerned that the ECU may be damaged, based on what I've read about the recall.
Any advice for a new 4th gen owner? Where do I go from here if a new relay doesn't fix the problem?