LegacyGT.com

First time experiencing this failure

So, went out to start the car this morning (1992 Sub. Legacy Wagon, non turbo awd auto. It's been having hard start issues lately, and is the subject of another post on here from me (lost 2/4 in the transmission)

This morning, turned the key made the briefest of attempts to engage the starter, then cut all power. I mean everything. KO/EO (in acc) = no lights. No dash, no brake, no HL. Nada. Zip. I checked battery connections, fusible links, fuses, relays (that I could find) You name it. Checked volts @ battery (12.7v) I'm out of ideas, and my job (actually, 2 jobs, since my buddy and I share the car), is on the line. I think my next step would be to jump the starter, and see if it engages; but can I do that with it still mounted (undo wiring, jump from hot>starter trigger and try and start the car?) Or is that a bad idea? I'm in no real hurry, per se... but I need to get this resolved.

This damn car will be the death of me. :spin:

Thanks!

Just to verify - Put key on (as if rolled back from starting it) and then jump the hot terminal to the starter trigger on the starter solenoid, yeah? Or do I have to run hot from the battery to the trigger? (I expect same result, the difference is that I don't have wire to run from the positive post on the battery to the starter trigger. >> )

I should also mention that I can rotate the engine (I know, it's not a motor. Wasn't thinking) by hand enough to know it's not locked up... getting my hands and arms in there to do that was... interesting. // When trying to start (turning key to ign) it basically acts like there is an ultra high drain (amp drain) on the battery (-everything- dimes, door chimes get weak and prolonged, so on and so forth), but when I have the vM hooked up to it, there's no drain on the battery at all. (still ~12.5v)

It sounds like the amps in the battery are drained, even though the volts remain normal. Either take the battery to an auto parts store and have them run an amps test, or try another battery.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Wasn't able to jump the starter; Either it won't jump, or I was making bad contact (I had my 18inch screw driver out there, no go). Cables are in great shape, no corrosion at the posts or throughout the wire. (I live in NM, so no road salt, or weather really. X) ) // Thing is, it will occasionally get full power again (full dash lights, fuel pump kicks on, and when I try to crank it, it instantly kills it, and goes into what it's doing now. :/

I should also mention that there is a clicking sound under the drivers dash, at the kick plate. I figured it was a relay, but not of the kick plate relays are actually clicking. After further research, and following wires up // back, there is a ... something, with a green connector above the kick plate fuse center that is clicking. I can feel it when it's doing it (as I'm touching it). I also tossed the charger on it, but naturally, it says it's charged. Just to clarify, hot (the large bolt on the starter) to the smaller spade terminal will jump the starter right?

Then it could be a relay issue, based on that. I would still take the battery and starter out and have them tested, so you can check those off.

See, that's what I thought... but whatever this thing is isn't a relay. At least not in a traditional sense (square // rectangle) And I don't appear to be able to remove it. I prolly won't be able to test either until tomorrow. I have O'Reilly's near me, and I'm pretty partial to them, so I'll bring it there.

When you have an issue like this, it's better to start ruling out the easy & cheap things first, before you start digging into the more difficult things. It could possibly be a bad starter thats shorting everything out, so that's a good reason to have it checked out too. Let us know how they check out and we'll go from there.

Alright.. so my job's more or less on the line; as the Asst. Manager (it's not that cool, I promise) I need to be there. I work till Tuesday, so that'll be the first time I have time to work on it again. My next plan is to pull the starter, and just hook it to the battery to see if it engages. (off the engine) If it does, can I presume the starter is fine, and that the problem lies behind it (in the ignition switch, or wiring somewhere between?)

I'm sorry for all the seemingly random posts; I'm trying to be as thorough and complete as I can. I used to work tech support, so I know remote tech'ing is a friggin PITA if your presented with incomplete information.

Thanks again, and stick with me if you have nothing better to do.

Taking the starter off and testing it with a battery is fine. If it engages off the car, then yes it's good. If it doesn't engage back on the car, then you know it's link to something else at this point.

Alright. So. I got the starter off. (Is it just me, or is that bottom nut a %$%$*? ><) Anywho; provided I did this right, the starter didn't engage off the car. I'm still going to bring it in and have it benched just to be sure. (I don't trust myself and my results...) I will say this though - -EVERY- symptom that the vehicle had with the starter connected is gone. No half power accessories, all the lights work at full brightness, the fuel pump cycled and primed. Turned key to start and -nothing- happened. (no starter, obviously) but this is different from previous attempts where it would cause everything to fail and go to half/no power. Waiting to hear from a buddy to see if he can run me down to a parts store; but he lives on the other side of town, and works @ 1530.

Thanks!

Hopefully it's just a faulty starter causing all your issues.

I'ma be the luckiest electric gremlin experiencer in the world, then... if it is. >> Never heard back from friend; so I'm stuck at the house.

...... guess that means it's beer thirty?

I also wanna say Thanks for the replies; if this isn't it, I'll come back to the thread and keep posting. :)

K. So starter checked out fine; came home, reconnected battery (not starter) and it started doing the same thing (turned key to ign, half power, acting again like there's the ultra high drain on the battery) Buddy was supposed to come out (again). He didn't. Next plan is to test battery for amps? Other ideas? I'm runnin' outta options here. :(

That's what I said before, test the battery for the amps. Sometimes the battery will drain it's amps, but yet maintain it's volts. Amps and volts are different when it comes to batteries.

That's what I said before, test the battery for the amps. Sometimes the battery will drain it's amps, but yet maintain it's volts. Amps and volts are different when it comes to batteries.

It had been my plan to test them both at the same time. My friend instead sent his mom all the way out here ( it's like a 15 mile drive to my house. No biggy, but.. she's MOM, FFS.) and I didn't want to eat up all her time // gas, and I totally forgot to pull the battery. I'm back to work again, so I'll do it as soon as I have time. This one car paradox thing SUCKS.

Archived