LegacyGT.com

Looking @ 05 LGT Wagon With New Turbo

Booner

So, I've just started communicating with a small time dealer type about an 05 LGT limited wagon with 75k. I asked a lot of questions and he answered very few of them, so I feel like I he's either hiding something or just an idiot... Weary either way. I found out that he replaced the turbo , and that's about all I know now since he's sort of a mute... Never answered what exactly led to this, so... I'm going to test drive and inspect and want to know a few things from the collective.

What should I look for as far as specific issues related to turbo replacement?

Should the OE turbo be replaced with the exact same OE turbo, or are there compatible turbos that will work?

If everything checks out with my inspection I will take it to the dealership for them to look it over, but I don't want to be wasting my time if I can help it... This guy seems like a total douche already like I said, so I have a lot of doubts.

I hope I'm wrong cause it's a beauty... Silver LGT limited wagon, auto, stock, 75k for about 10k

Thanks kids!

So let me ask this...

If I do a compression check and it checks out... Am I safe to assume no damage was done? I was thinking about having the oil changed to look for metal too. Would a strong compression test eliminate the need to check the oil for metal... Or would both be a good idea?

• Moderators

sounds kind of shady. if the turbo put bits of metal into the motor the shortblock could be on borrowed time, hard to say really especially if he's not being forthright with you. A compression test likely won't tell you much as far as that goes, changing the oil is a better bet I think. Although both are a good idea before buying a used turbo subaru.

where are you located?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

sounds kind of shady. if the turbo put bits of metal into the motor the shortblock could be on borrowed time, hard to say really especially if he's not being forthright with you. A compression test likely won't tell you much as far as that goes, changing the oil is a better bet I think. Although both are a good idea before buying a used turbo subaru.

where are you located?

Western NY. I've gotten a little more info out of him and hope to completely clear it up this Thursday when I go look at it. He says it was never driven with blown turbo . I need more info like, how eexactly it was blown ... Maybe and hopefully no metal even came off it. Just trying to figure out how I can find out in case he plays stoopit. It would be great if I knew it was a non issue, since I would just get a new turbo in that case. I car faxed it and it appears it had rregular maintenance done at the subie dealership, which I like

• Moderators

I ask where you're located only because I've toyed with selling mine--5eat wagon, 71,xxx miles, dealership records through 54k and serviced by me since then (i'm pretty avid about maintaining it and have replaced nearly all of the fluids since I bought it).

Tuned to stage 2 with cobb downpipe, sti up pipe, and a transmission cooler setup. Runs great, perfect daily driver. Only reason I would sell is to pick up a 5mt wagon or outback xt. PM me and I'll answer anything you want to know :) I'm in northern VA, so a bit of a ride for you but not all that far.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived