LegacyGT.com

2006 legacy wagon totaled by snow plow

First let me say that i miss my subbie like my best friend died in the car accident we were involved in on xmas day! unfortunately due to financial troubles i could no longer keep full coverage on my wagon.. so unless the state plow truck driver turns out to be at fault I am basically up a creek without a paddle :(

still not doing so hot after the accident.. the scenario was coming around a blind corner at about 35mph onto a sudden change of road surface ( dry pavement to packed slick snow ) down shifted to third as i saw a full size state snow plow enter the road 1000 feet ahead in the middle of the road. there was virtualy no time to react and no where to go.. if i could have ditched the car i would have but the skid left me with no options .. other than to hit the breaks which caused a skid ( abs didnt kick in for somereason) the car began to slide towards the passanger slide where my fiance and 16 month old daughter were seated... i had just enough time to pull the ebrake and swing the car around to the drivers side so that i took the full impact in the drivers door. thank god my family was not hurt seriously.. however i did take a pretty nasty hit. my head went through the window fracturing my skull and nearly removing my ear .. fun fun...

the door and sideskirt area were pushed in about a 1.5 feet my head went through the window . fractured skull and other serious head trauma. for whatever reason the airbags did not deploy.

i am lucky to be alive!! will post up pics later..

my one real question for any of you with actual knowledge of the subbie airbag systems.. shouldnt side curtain air bags have been deployed.. it was somewhere between a 25 and 40 mile per hour T-bone style accident

the car was bought used in 2010 with 64k on it from a new car subbie dealer.. ( there was no record of a carfax reported accident but i realized after a few months of ownership that the bumpers front and rear had been resprayed ) the metal flick in the obsidian black did not match the rest of the car ) possible previous accident.

waiting on the accient reports.. due to the holidays it has taken far longer than it should have.. either way the snow plow driver was neglegent he should never have been in my lane forcing me to take extreme measures!

looking for legal council now that i am able to function again.. took two weeks to get my head straight still cant stand up without passing out though..

if only i had had another 10 seconds.. i was attmepting to do a lol norwegian flick as they call it and bring the car back around to miss the plow.. lol it was a long shot but would have been nice

Attorney up, fault is going to do a lot with, where the impacted was on the road. Your side or his. You also need to have your attorney look at the dealership you bought the car. Depending on State Laws, theirs certain thing on a vehicle that as to work before a dealer can sell it. I going assume the ABS & Air Bag light was not on. When you bought the car or any time before you crash.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I going assume the ABS & Air Bag light was not on. When you bought the car or any time before you crash.

you are correct the car was very well maintained.. which is why its so damn sad.. it ran and handled like a dream at 160,000 miles.. was planning to drive it into the ground :(

in 17 years of driving this is my first real car accident god it sucked.. yeah i have had a full medical work up.. and seeking a lawyer in the portland maine area!

anyone with any info on airbags.. i will gladly listen! better info on here than all the @#$@ with opinions throughout web searches :)

First of all, I get it, you love your car. That you're broken and you are worried about your car says a lot but seriously, f--k your car. Get that head healed, you need to be there for that family you protected with your thankfully thick skull.

You are a very lucky man, just imagine if that had killed your wife or child!

Happy new year, seriously. Second, and forgive me because snow is something I have to visit, can you explain for us fair weather idiots more clearly what happened because I am both horrified and confused. You had lost no speed in the 1000ft you traveled to the plow? How fast was the plow going? Did you hit the plow part? In no way am I blaming you, I am just trying to imagine it and what I imagine is scary.

Lastly... Did your kid have to see you all bloody, are you experiencing hearing loss and is your face going to look okay?

EDIT: Sounds to me like its time to have your airbag sensors checked out. My car went to a body shop and they left my airbag sensors just hanging, ineffective and not where they were meant to be.

I'm with BarManBean, say nothing more until a attorney gives you the OK to discuss it on a open forum! Thank God the family is OK, wish you all the best with your health issues.

First, I am sorry to hear what happened to you and your family.

Regarding the airbag, do you recall if your airbag warning light was turning on each time you turn the ignition key on? The warning light must stay on for about 7 seconds, enough time for the airbag computer to check if all sensors are OK. Then it goes off if everything is fine.

Sorry this happened.

As for the air bags, think about what they are designed for. I'm no expert but, I think the sensors are located for a impact from a front bumper into the side of your car, not something the shape of a snow plow.

Hope your healing ok.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry this happened.

As for the air bags, think about what they are designed for. I'm no expert but, I think the sensors are located for a impact from a front bumper into the side of your car, not something the shape of a snow plow.

Hope your healing ok.

True.. From reading up on our airbags some info i read states that with the proper g forces they will deploy.. I could b wrong...

Bump for pics of my poor totaled 2006 obsidian black pearl spec ed wagon. And it was even a stick :(

Archived