LegacyGT.com

Perrin Turbo Inlet poor fit...

doobaruGT

I just wanted to post up for anyone researching that the Perrin Turbo Inlet was a poor fitment on my 05 LGT.

I replaced it thinking I had a tear, but the leak turned out to be the IM Gaskets. I replaced the inlet anyway while I had it out, but the Perrin was nearly 2" too long. It didn't line up with the BPV tubing at all and so I had to modify and cut nearly 2" off of the Turbo side to help it line up with the BPV tube. This, in turn, forced a tighter fit of the vac lines.

It may not be like this for everyone but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Of course, such is the risk with any aftermarket part :spin:

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Are you sure you bought the correct item? The inlet fit my '08 WRX very well for an aftermarket part, no trimming or kludging at all.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I have one and it fit well. I did unbolt the BPV tube and fit it to the inlet tube first and then re-bolt and fit to BPV. Other than that it fits well. Like I mentioned in your other thread, for me the issue was getting over compressor housing.

• 4 months later...

I installed the Perrin Inlet on my 2005 Outback XT today.

The problem is not the inlet and it does not need to be cut.

The issue is that originally Perrin made a PSP-420 Inlet and now its PSP-421

The original one was made for the legacy and the newer one is now made for the 08 Up WRX.

They are identical with one exception, the BOV tube connection is more toward the front of the car.

Unfortunately perrin quit making the one that fit better on the legacy for the one that fits better on the WRX. More demand for the WRX and they are similar so why make both.

The key to putting this on a legacy I found out today is using the WRX BOV tube.

The WRX BOV tube that connects to the inlet has more of a bend in the end where it goes on the inlet.

That bend, bends more toward the front of the car. This is the reason for the Change in the Perrin Inlet.

I just happened to have a whole 08 UP WRX intake manifold with everything still on it.

I took the BOV tube off the WRX inlet/manifold and it fit perfect on my Outback XT with Perrin Inlet.

So bottom line is to make the Inlet line up better just get a WRX BOV tube and you are good to go.

Thanks for the clarity. It makes sense. I'm guessing the WRX BPV tube is slightly longer, too. The legacy one is shorter so that I was unable to get it to stretch and fit at all.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I recently installed the psp-421 on my '05 and ran into different issues than listed here, mine was pretty hard pressed up against the tgv housing. It worked but I just didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling on the fittment that I was expecting from a company like perrin.

Archived