LegacyGT.com

New 91 keeps stalling...but only when cold

Thanks for the info! I hadn't thought of coolant temp. I know where the IAC valve is, and I'm going to take that off right now and make sure it's not clogged and can still move.

Other notes:

I don't get a check engine light.

Even when the car is warm, when I let the clutch out and the motor is above 2000 rpm, the revs drop to almost zero, but recover.

my coolant temp sensor went bad, and did the same thing. only the coolant fan would run on high till i cleared the code and replaced the sensor. once replaced and disconected the battery for 20 min the fan shut off and it runs great cold now. Now to locate a cheep Maf sensor that i need...

I'm not 100% sure, but one sensor is labeled the water temp sensor, and the other is labeled water temp gauge. I would guess the water temp sensor goes to the ecu.

The MAF is standard on n/a first gens. Is that what you are asking? Or do mean a bad MAF may be your problem?

waterpipe.jpg.1e8f84dd2793e6d1910a33f5233ab232.jpg

The water pipe is large and sits underneath the intake mani which is why you haven't noticed it before. The left side connects to the upper radiatator hose, follow that back and you will see it. The spade connector is temp sensor part 22630 AA040 or 22630 AA041. That is the part that will connect to your ecu. The other sensor is gauge sensor 21203 AA030. You want the spade connector.

If you want zip files of the factory service manual and/or complete parts catalog pm your email and I'll send them to you. They are very useful and informative.

The MAF can be a problem, but it probably isn't your problem. If it was your car would run like crap all the time or not at all.

I don't know enough about the IAC valve to say. I know it sends higher rpms on a cold start. I don't know if it is a good idea or not to run the car with it off. I know that you would want a replacement gasket on hand if you decide to take it off. I would try cleaning it and then reinstalling it first.

Thanks for the diag, but where exactly is that pipe? And I have two model numbers for temperature sensors. One is just a spade connector, while the other is a two prong electrical connector.

And can the MAF be a problem?

there happens to be nice picture in an active thread in this forum:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4201807&postcount=706

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

^That is on a 22T, not a 22E. The coolant temp sensors are in different locations depending on the model. On the 22T they are located above the knock sensor. On the 22E they are more to the left. The diagram I posted above is for a n/a 22E.

But it is a great pic of the water pipe. Thanks!

There are two coolant temp sensors. They are side by side on the coolant crossover pipe. One goes to the cluster gauge, and the other goes to the ecu.

94legacy22, there are a lot of junkyards out here. I could probably find you one if you don't have any luck.

ok cool i'l pm u if i need it... my car surges while accelerating. i clean the maf with cleaner and its good for about a week then starts acting up again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I pulled the codes, and here is where this gets weird. It doesn't have a CEL, but it has codes for:

Crank Pos Sensor

Fuel injector 2

Fuel Injector 3

MAF low voltage

IACV

Can Purge Valve Solenoid

Idle Switch (What?)

and Improper MAF used (That was me when I accidentally used the different style.

No vacuum leaks we can see, and i ran lucas through first tank, and seafoam on the second.

Since you just acquired the car you might want to check the various sensors with a meter and reset the codes. Who knows how long those codes have been stored. Then recheck codes in short while to see which ones pop back up. Also would be worth it to pull grounds and clean contacts up.

Vacuum leaks in old hoses can be hard to find. Best is to just work through and pull each hose one by one. Inspect and replace as nessecary.

I've never used Lucas fuel system cleaner. I've used seafoam, but techron concentrate and regane are usually held in higher regard.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90611

No exact value given in this thread I just found, but some where to start. Look for threads on here, legacy central and ultimate to start with via google.

Good luck, let us know what you find...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ysGEyW-QC0]I'VE MENDED SOMETHING! - YouTube[/ame]

I got it to run and idle perfectly when stone cold.

This morning, it fired up, went to back out, and then it died and wouldn't restart. I pulled the battery to test it and reset the ECU. While it was out, I found the ground cable going from the battery to behind the driver side headlight had a very dirty contact, so I cleaned it.

I also took the intake off and cleaned the throttle body (during which the little straw came off the aerosol cleaner and blew into the intake manifold. Plenty of fun to retrieve!)

I'm not sure what it was, but for future reference for anyone looking, the problem was solved by either

A) Throttle body cleaning

B) ECU reset

C) Cleaning grounds

or maybe any combination.

Archived