LegacyGT.com

TPMS dashboard light on, tire pressure is fine...???

pfoyle

OEM size for 2010 LGT tires is 225/45/18... in order to get the Blizzaks I wanted for my winter setup, I had to go with 215/45/18 rubber (on OEM rims). I just installed them on the car this week (Tuesday) and filled them to 35psi (front) and 34psi (rear). Last night my low tire dashboard warning light started blinking, and then stayed on fully. Checked pressure in all 4 tires and it is still good at 35/34... and visually all looks fine as well. Light is still on today...

I suppose the base of my question is: can running this slightly narrower tire cause the TPMS to think the pressure is low? I don't really understand why this would be the case, but other than a malfunctioning sensor, I don't have any other possible explanation...

Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks for any help or advice you can provide!

Bump the pressure at least 3 pounds above what is recommended on the door sticker, at least.

My wife's 09 does the same thing if it is 2 lbs lower than the TPMS thinks it should be. Discount Tire even used their tpms tester to make sure they didn't need to be recalibrated. Her light will come on if the tire is 1lb below ideal. Running 3-4psi above what the door sticker says and the light will stay off for months at a time now. Just put air in her tires last night now that snow is here again.

good luck

Thanks for the help fellas... I'll try bumping up to 38/37 psi and see if that helps... the light does blink everytime I turn the car on, and then goes solid after a minute or two. This may be a stupid question, but does the TPMS come on the rims/tires, or is it something that is taken out and transferred if you have new tires/rims mounted? That is, when I bought my summer set of rims, I took the tires off my OEM rims and had them swapped onto new rims. Then I bought winter tires and had them mounted on my OEM rims. Just recently I took off the summer rims/tires and replaced them (myself) with the oem/winter setup... If I had done this at a tire shop, would they have taken the TPMS off of the summer setup and reinstalled it onto winter setup, or is this something that is built in to each tire/rim set? I guess what I'm asking is do both sets of rims/tires have the TPMS built in, or is it something that would/should be transferred when I swap setups? Thanks again for all the help!

This may be a stupid question, but does the TPMS come on the rims/tires, or is it something that is taken out and transferred if you have new tires/rims mounted? That is, when I bought my summer set of rims, I took the tires off my OEM rims and had them swapped onto new rims.
This is what they look like:

42753swa306nq5.jpg.3a048ab545bd525af2ffade5d312e2aa.jpg

So yes, the tire shop obviously transferred them when you changed rims because you never had the warning light go off.

Just recently I took off the summer rims/tires and replaced them (myself) with the oem/winter setup... If I had done this at a tire shop, would they have taken the TPMS off of the summer setup and reinstalled it onto winter setup, or is this something that is built in to each tire/rim set? I guess what I'm asking is do both sets of rims/tires have the TPMS built in, or is it something that would/should be transferred when I swap setups? Thanks again for all the help!

Your winter set up doesn't have TPMS sensors, so yeah, that's why you're getting the warning light. If you have 2 sets of rims for winter/summer, each set should have their own set of TPMS sensors.

Great info, nstg8r, thanks! Kinda strange that NTB wouldn't have put TPMS in when I had the winters mounted on OEM rims... isn't it? Or is that something I should have specifically requested?

Other than having to stare at the warning light on my dash, is there any problem to running without the TPMS... obviously I would keep an eye on my pressure visually/manually to make sure they don't run too low... I'd rather not have to unmount/remount/etc if I don't have to...

Ok, so I don't usually need to be spoon fed, but can you provide any more info ripemeat? Search function is only functional if you know what to search for! "TPMS" gives way too much info, "TPMS hack" didn't work, "TPMS reset" didn't work, "TPMS override" didn't work... even went through every thread BAC5.2 started and couldn't find it. I have no problem doing my own work, but any more help would be hugely appreciated!

Saw a similar solution in my searches... problem with this is that you still have to buy 4 extra TPMS (or remove them from the wheels they are currently mounted), either of which will cost time/money. I've also read that the TPMS requires rotation to work, that is it has to actually be IN the tire... but I am not sure if this is true... I'm gonna PM BAC5.2 and see if he can point me in the right direction... I will report back when I hear something. Living with the warning light is one possible solution... but I hate having that light just staring me in the face... accusing me of neglect! :rolleyes::lol:

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! I realize now that I just don't have the TPMS in my winter setup, which explains the warning light. :rolleyes: Luckily I have a digital pressure gauge, so I'll just check them every other fillup or so...

Now the tough choice... stare at the light on my dashboard, or stare at some tape on my dashboard! :rolleyes::lol:

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! I realize now that I just don't have the TPMS in my winter setup, which explains the warning light. :rolleyes: Luckily I have a digital pressure gauge, so I'll just check them every other fillup or so...

Now the tough choice... stare at the light on my dashboard, or stare at some tape on my dashboard! :rolleyes::lol:

or lower your steering wheel so it blocks the light? :rolleyes:

Or add some sensors to your winter setup?

Get out of here with your sound logic and smaty-pants solutions! :lol: Obviously this would solve the problem (although I'd still have to figure out how to swap between winter sensors and summer sensors, as the car can only be setup for one set at a time), but at this point I'm not gonna bother. With the tires already on the rims (and wheels on the car), it's just not worth it for me to buy the sensors, and pay for the install... maybe in the spring when I take the winter setup off... or maybe not... undecided. Not too worried about it... I have a electronic pressure gauge, and will be getting a 12V air compressor for Xmas, so I'll just keep an eye on them and call it "safe".

How's the saving for stage 1 protune coming along? ;)

(although I'd still have to figure out how to swap between winter sensors and summer sensors, as the car can only be setup for one set at a time)

You have two options. Either buy an ATEQ tool or buy a second TPMS computer and have that programmed to the second set of sensors. Swap out the computer when you swap the wheels out. Takes me a couple of minutes to do at the start/end of winter.

Being spent on daycare.

Booooo!!! :lol: How much does a large dog cage and one of those hampster water bottles cost? Boom! After just a couple weeks, you've got enough for the AP and protune! ;) Kids are resilient (and forgetful) at that age anyway... :lol:

Archived