LegacyGT.com

Car stalls when shifting into reverse?(auto)

Hey guys, new guy here with a question.

My girlfriend recently bought an 05 LGT with around 120k miles.

Very clean car, runs strong. Completely stock except for a K&N Typhoon cold air intake.

This past week she started having some problems. When shifting into reverse to back out of the driveway the cars rpm's would drop a little and the car would vibrate a little more, like it wanted to choke. And a few days ago i got in the car, put it in reverse and the engine stalled out. Yesterday the car stalled on her 4 times in a row before she could leave for work.

What gives?? Any one have any experience with this problem? I always drive manual transmission cars and i have no experience with auto tranny problems at all.

Might be worth it to mention there is a burnt oil smell coming into the cabin with the vent on and car idling (not moving) but the previous owner said the valve cover gaskets were recently changed and some oil got onto the exhaust and it needs to burn off... But it has been a few weeks now that she has owned this car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

you're suppose to have a tune with that intake. take it off and put the stock intake back in unless you have a tune for it. you might have a vacuum leak somewhere...like a hose popping off somewhere. under the intercooler there's a blue T fitting that comes of a lot

Hmm the previous owner didnt mention a tune. Ill check that fitting too. Thank you.

Can anyone think of anything else?

In my research so far i see o rings on the intake manifold may need to be replaced and the IAT valve might need cleaning/replacing?

• 2 weeks later...
Her car started bogging when shifted into gear a few weeks ago. Then about three nights or so ago she couldnt get the engine to start. She tried 3-4 times before it finally fired up and when it did, she had a rough idle. I think i'll try to change her intake manifold o rings and maybe buy some OEM sparkplugs and swap them in. See if that helps. If not, ill try the IAT next.

the manifold rings certainly won't cause a no-start condition. lack of fuel, incomplete communication of air from maf sensor to throttle body(i.e vac leak, dislodged hose, throttle body hose folded over or popped off slightly), or spark issue, will.

The car has over 120k miles so it cant hurt. Ill look around there when i start working on it. Maybe the fitting under the intercooler did get loose. Ill try cleaning the maf while im at it too. Im just brainstorming here now.

So:

O rings

Plugs

Check all the hoses+ tfitting under the ic

Clean the maf

I'll throw in my 2 cents. Worn out spark plugs will cause an engine to be hard to start especially when cold. Do you know when those were last changed?

This car does not have an idle air control valve but a dirty throttle body could give the same symptoms as a dirty IAC valve. I would start with the spark plugs if you dont know when they were last changed.

The car has over 120k miles so it cant hurt.

Another thing to add, was the timing belt & tensor replaced at or around 105k? When they become worn. The belt can jump. If it jump more the a couple teeth. Your valves & piston will hit.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived