LegacyGT.com

carpet hook in 05 Legacy

Hi,

I'm in the process of changing the inboard fan on my wife's Legacy (and installing a subwoofer). While doing all this, I noticed that the hook that keeps the foot carpet for the driver's side from sliding "downhill" under the pedals is broken off -- which probably explains why there is no foot carpet there.

I ordered a new hook awhile back, and have it on hand. However, I don't know how to get it into the place where the old one is missing or broken off. Does anyone know if it's a snap fit, slide fit, or ????

You'd think this would be easy, but the base carpet still covers the hole where the fitting goes, so I can't see what's down there. And the main carpet doesn't readily move out of the way because it goes from the door sill ingress strip on each side of the car, and way front to back in the car as well. If I take the ingress strip off, does that allow me to easily access that little hole I've mentioned above?

All ideas on how to fix what sees to be a simple (but isn't) problem greatly appreciated!

LOL, I think there was a recall about this.

Mine was replaced and it still doesn't work.

IMO don't waste your time. I pull my mat back a few times a week, you get used to it after time. Mine has been sliding around since I bought the car late Jun 04.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

1) Slide seat all the way back

2) Remove the plastic covering the fuel door and trunk release switches by pulling/sliding them forwards. Be careful that you don't cut your hand when it finally gives. If you have to, use a screw driver with some cloth wrapped around it to pry a bit to loosen things up.

3) Remove the plastic bevel/trim pieces surrounding the fuel door release and trunk release levers. It's done by popping up the little plastic flip-up pin piece, and then sliding the forward half forwards and the back half backwards. A little bit of shifting around should get the sucker loose.

All the plastic in the area should be off by now. Now, hopefully you have small hands or long fingers. You should be able to reach under the carpet and feel a little round button/lock ring. Slide it into place so it surrounds the hole in your carpet. Take the hook that you have, and snap it on top of that ring (over the carpet) nice and tight.

Put everything back.

Archived