Sorry for the crap photo links, but I broke my phone recently and got the HTC m10 so I'm dealing with the google photo bs for now. I downloaded photobucket to the phone but it is nowhere close to the original program, likely because it's a version made for the phone's software. :/
I finally pulled the pan last week to see the differences. Here is the legacy two piece pan with integrated pickup tube and o ring.
< oops, how'd that get here?
(for my 95 impreza)
-The front row of bolts (4) that hold the pan are m8, and two are not lined up for use with the normal steel pan.
-The oil pickup hole is in the same place (THANKfully!) and the bolt holes are there, but not tapped.
-The windage tray is very close to the same and clears the new pickup tube I bought.
What I had to do for this engine to work with my 07 2.5i:
-Line the steel pan up to the block and mark the two front row holes that aren't in the block, then drill and tap them to m6x1.0
-I used two m8x1.0 allen plugs with toyota fipg on the threads for the two unused holes that don't line up for the steel pan, just for a little better surface to seal with.
Here is a pic with the m6 holes I drilled next to the m8 holes that won't be used.
-Tapped the two oil pickup flange holes in the block to m6x1.0, in this pic they have no threads
-Bolted pickup on and sealed and bolted on steel pan = AOK
The other things needed were:
The valve covers on the coil on plug vs spark plug wire setups have different heights at the plug hole because the coil on plug engine has shorter plug tubes. Because of this, I got a friend to make some aluminum spacers/washers that made up for the difference in the tube lengths. They are glued to the covers with toyota fipg, should last, otherwise I will try with fujibond or hondabond if they ever have an issue. Either way they can't fall because the ridges around them prevent moving very far, especially sinc the tube seals are pressing on them and the plug boots are in the middle.
-Transfer the oil temp sensor from the 07 block to the 12, mainly because the connector size on the newer sensor is larger. At first I de-pinned the connectors and swapped the newer connector onto my 07 harness to be able to use the 12 sensor, but then decided (just in case, and because I'm anal about things like this) to swap the older sensor onto the vvl assembly since it's the same thread size. This is the sensor on the passenger side vvl assembly rear of head.
-Another detail was to cut the rubber pcv gadget on the 12 block and use a metal double barb tube to be able to connect the block's pcv gadget to the tube that runs up to the breather box and has the sensor in it.
I also swapped the crank pulley because of course my 07 uses the two belt style, it would have been too much of a hassle to try and find and adapt all of the other parts to use the single stretch belt setup.
The knock sensor connector on the 07 and 12 harness are different so I swapped the 07 sensor to the 12 block.
And of course the entire intake manifold with injectors and other gadgets from the 07 was installed on the 12 block with 07 style intake gaskets.
Ready to go in, with oem flywheel and exedy oem spec clutch... smooth as butter
Here is the startup without the exhaust manifold because I'm waiting on oem exhaust gaskets. It runs very smoothly, can't wait to drive her!