LegacyGT.com

Funny noise from crank pully/timing cover

Well this just recently started about a week ago and its steadily getting louder. When my car is cold I have a fairly loud grindy bad idler/bearing kind of noise comming from my center timing cover/crank pulley. Its only when the car is cold and 100% goes away when its warmed up. The car was recently torn apart by a shop for my shortblock. The crank pulley looks like it has a very little wobble to it just barely and the bolt is tight so I dont think its because the pulley is loose. Any ideas? It doesnt make much sence that it completely dissapears when its warm.

Sounds like something oil related behind the timing cover, when the oil is cold and thick its noisey, when the oil is warm and thinner noise goes away.. is the pulley seperating? Maybe oil pump, that right behind the pulley? Id pull the belts and cover and then stethoscope it

When you rebuilt your engine, did you put brand new timing belt pulleys as well as a new TB tensioner? I am asking just to rule those out.

fyi, [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVEk0-UIE-k]Project Import: Subaru WRX STi Timing Belt Pulley Tensioner Bearing Goes Bad www.projectimport.com - YouTube[/ame]

If you've put brand new pulleys, then I would next check very carefully the crankshaft pulley. As 06silvarubiLGT said, they have a tendency to seperate with times and make a REAL mess. For peace of mind, I'd install an LCP.

Time for a video.

I checked the crank pulley and she is tight. The T-belt was replaced but the pulleys are still the oem 88k mile ones.

The major problem with that crank pulley is that it can begin to fail by 'splitting' in two and making a major mess. Look up on youtube for wobbling crank pulleys on subies.

I thinking you need to get to the idler pulleys...

^Yep. That could be that small idler pulley slowly dying. You'll only be able to tell by checking it though.

All of this is speculation though. Post a video of the noise. We may be able to help you better with this issue.

Ok i got all the noises weeded out. And i checked the belt again after i started it and its tight now. I guess it just stopped where there was some slack because i know our cars have auto adjustable tensioner. So i guess the last quest is those guides that are eating the belt.

Check and adjust the clearance between timing belt and timing belt guides. There is 5 guides, one for each cam gear & one for the crank. Clearance should be 1.0mm +\- 0.5mm (0.039" +\-0.020")

Mike

^That's correct. I guess you have already adjusted the clearances but here is a TB guide I followed over on Youtube. This guy gives a great tip starting at 12:05. He also shows how he adjusts those guides.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYqgBlCrJnU&feature=relmfu]Meatys Subaru Timing Belt Guide (HD)(3/5) - YouTube[/ame]

Out of curiosity, how old is your timing belt tensioner? It is somewhat rare but mine did this at 51000 miles :mad:. I was EXTREMELY lucky I did not bend my valves..

Ya the guy that did mine literally had the guides right on the belt. I just got a price of paper i folded a couple of times and made sure i could pass that under the guide without it getting stuck.

Then you're probably good to go assuming your tensioner is OK as well as the rest of your pulleys. However if they have not been changed when you rebuilt your engine, then you should change them @ 105000 even if your timing belt is brand new. That's my opinion.

btw, time for an LCP.

Yup its all going to be replaced at 105k. Even the belt which was just replaced.

Same for me. Just replaced the tensioner and my belt 10000 miles ago. Will have to do it again @ 105k. Glad you got it figured out. Now you can crank that bass.

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed the exact same thing with my '05 (only 66k miles though, and no engine work).

Sooo, what do you think was the real cause of the noise? The timing belt guides? Idlers seem an obvious choice, and I'm on the verge just replacing them and the tbelt. No one has touched the inside of my timing cover since the factory (that I know of).

I park mine in the garage, so the occurance of the noise is even less, but happens in the cold.

Archived