LegacyGT.com

enlighten me on open source

Brett

Okay so here goes:

With an AP, you purchase a device that comes with pre-stored maps for different modifications done to a specific car. These maps are tuned generally for these modifications and not per each each. The unit will not recognize the exact car's response to the tune and change it accordingly. This device is also capable of storing custom maps that can be purchased from a tuner whether it be an e-tune, road tune, or dyno tune.

With OpenSource, one can purchase a Tactrix cable, a netbook, and download EcuFlash along with RomRaider to analyze and flash his or her car's map. This method is preferred due to the fact that the tune has what and AP's tune lacks, uniqueness. This method is used in conjunction with e-tunes for the most part. These tunes are customized for each and every car they are made for, however one must find an e-tuner to fulfill this task. There are many on both this site and nasioc that are very familiar with a Legacy GT.

I recommended that you do not get dyno tuned simply because you're stage 2. You're going to want to change something in the not-too-distant future and if I were you, I wouldn't want to shell out the price for an AP again for another tune.

I recommended getting a Stage 2 e-tune now since you can also change the parts on your car within 30 days of the tune for most tuners. You'll get the most out of a dyno tune, but is the extra 300-400 worth it (an e-tune is typically $125-175)?

Goodluck sir.

I just updated a few details in my FAQ on this subject, not really all the differences but most of the similarities. If you click on my signature under this post you can read a little bit about it.

I personally use the AP for the tuning software but some people will tune their car once and be fine for months,years so the ap then becomes a paperweight unless you take advantage of the guages and logger to monitor.

Opensource requires a laptop, setting up the software and can be frustrating at times but very rewarding once you get it working.

There are benifits and drawbacks to either setup when it comes to AP vs OS, do your research and figure out what works best for you.

Thanks

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I just updates a few details in my FAQ on this subject, if you click on my signature under this post you can read a little bit about it.

I personally use the AP for the tuning software but some people will tune their car once and be fine for months,years so the ap then becomes a paperweight unless you take advantage of the guages and logger to monitor.

Opensource requires a laptop, setting up the software and can be frustrating at times but very rewarding once you get it working.

There are benifits and drawbacks to either setup when it comes to AP vs OS, do your research and figure out what works best for you.

Thanks

Dave

yea, one of my biggest issues about open source is that i don't have a laptop. i'm prepared to shell out for a dyno tune and its really what i'm leaning towards. i'll have my stock intake soon, then over time, get the catback, then tune via IAG. besides, i usually use my AP to monitor things and adjust settings.

so, can a tune be downloaded to an AP? and how can i get someone to tune it? if i ditched the AP, would i still have my launch control and the ability to change maps?

A Tuner should be able to provide maps for both Open Source and an AP. AP maps tend to be a bit more expensive, but it would be the same map.

You don't need a laptop. Just buy a used netbook off of craigslist if you're concerned with price.

Opensource cost: ~ $170 (Tactrix)+ $100 (Netbook)+ $150 (Tune) = $320

AP cost: ~ $595 (AP) + $160 (Tune) = $755

As you can see, the AP route is still more expensive. You can ask the tuner to put launch control in the map as well. If you want to meet up with me later on this week, I'd be happy to show you how it works.

i already have an AP, so knock off $600 from the estimated cost off a tune for that. it will however, be about $500 for the dyno tune (info from iag) and two hours of dyno time. since the guy i'm buying my intake from sort of ducked out today, i could come and meet you to see how it works.

A Tuner should be able to provide maps for both Open Source and an AP. AP maps tend to be a bit more expensive, but it would be the same map.

You don't need a laptop. Just buy a used netbook off of craigslist if you're concerned with price.

Opensource cost: ~ $170 (Tactrix)+ $100 (Netbook)+ $150 (Tune) = $420*

As you can see, the AP route is still more expensive. You can ask the tuner to put launch control in the map as well. If you want to meet up with me later on this week, I'd be happy to show you how it works.

Opensource cost: ~ $170 (Tactrix)+ $100 (Netbook)+ $150 (Tune) = $320

I actually charge the same rate whether ap or os, when etuning there isnt a whole lot of difference from my end.

If you already have the cobb and enjoy it, plus your local dyno options seem to prefer it you might be better off sticking with it.

If you had a laptop and were unhappy with the price of the cobb i could understand selling....the launch control,ff shifting , map switching, live guages and ease of use with the handheld are definatly nice added options.

Plus tinywrx's launch control patch for opensource is another 30 bucks i believe.

Looks like you got some decisions to make.....:)

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Archived