LegacyGT.com

What to use to clean the glass?

Guest JessterCPA

I am in the same boat here. Just cleaned all my glass, and the streaks & glare are almost as bad as if I never cleaned them in the first place.

I will try the Invisible Glass. Target is right down the street. Looks like I will be picking some up on lunch. Thanks!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17247&page=1&pp=10&highlight=haze

ron_c1 recommended Zaino Z-12. The Zaino brand-name is highly touted, so this might be worth a try. ron_c1 reports that he's yet to have a recurrence, but his total post-count is "3," and I don't think I've "seen" him here, since.....

Others have advocated vinegar-water solutions, as well as using newspaper, which are both old and tried-and-true tricks from professional home/window cleaners. Reportedly, this is good for about a month.

Stoner's Invisible Glass seems to be the most popular recommendation, and it is what I use as well. Usually combined with microfiber towels/wipes (which is also OCD's recommendation). However, I first tend to notice recurrence of the haze (usually at night, when exterior/road lighting from differing angles can easily highlight any such streaks) pretty much by the one-week mark.

As the cited thread noted, this is commonly reported to be caused from evolved gasses from our interior plastic components. It more or less happens on all vehicles, and can last upwards of *years*.

The only sure-fire way to eliminate it, most have reported, is by persistent and consistent cleaning/wiping.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Guest *Jedimaster*
Stoner's over here thanks to OCDetails and others on the board. Just be careful what you get it on- it takes registrations stickers off really well :lol:

^^^ :eek: !

Thanks for that warning, bro!

I actually haven't had any trouble with Stoner's even on my transparent LERSOC vinyl on my rear window. Guess I shouldn't push it, huh?! ;)

No registration stickers for me! +1 for OH (-1 for having front plate! yuk!).

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

You should never use anything on tinted windows that has ammonia (windex usually has that) or any other harmful chemicals that will cause damage to the tint. My dad who used to work at a tint place said the best thing for tinted windows is a microfiber towel and water. Wet side to clean and dry side to buff. Works for me.

For the outside of the windows, I used whatever crap I can find. I might try the stuff OCDetails recommends though.

Stoner's is tint friendly. But because it's tint friendly, it's not as strong as say windex. I use windex on the front with all the windows rolled down. When I'm done wiping it all down, I'll roll up the windows and do the remaining 7.

What do you all use for the front windshield? A wand of some sort? I keep missing spots when I try to get the lower corners and near the bottom edge. Maybe that triangular microfiber thing "as seen on tv"?

Front plate isn't that big of a deal. Especially with a frame hinge =).

Stubastew ^^^^ Note, OCD limites his recommendation for "hazing" to microfiber towel-ing only. He cited directly in the other thread that he has yet to find anything that works on a "permanent" basis.

----

Also, I +1 Subastew's caution on anything ammonia-based for film-tinted windows. Windex does make a non-ammonia based window cleaner that *_should_* be safe to use, however, I'd still go with what Subastew's father recommended - microfiber+water to clean, microfiber+dry to buff.

----

Brother Calvin,

I just "bunch up" my microfiber towel to get to those pesky corners/edges, but truthfully, I'd gladly try one of those wedges - seems like a handy idea....

Maybe I'll head over to advanced auto or even home depot and see if I can find the wedge. Getting those corners and lower bottom... I'm all contorted upside down .. Left hand, right hand .. in my car trying to reach past the dash - neighbors looking at me all funny. =).

The ammonia free windex is just colored tap water. I tried just cleaning my house windows with it. Completely worthless.

I use microfiber to remove the water outside after washing the car - much better than chamois. I then run over the inside tinted windows and does a nice job. As for the front inside I use metho and another microfiber cloth - cheap and easy.

Yeah, don't use Ammonia on tinted windows.

It breaks down the adhesive that secures it to the window and it can cause the protective inner layer to seperate from the actual tint layer...

I usually use 50/50 rubbing alcohol/ water mix to break down the film on the interior then clean with window cleaner of choice which is usually stoners and newspaper...

Iggy

Believe it or not Coke will remove the haze

The sleeve of your shirt will remove the haze too. I really don't see the point of getting too exotic with your products to removing something that is just going to come back. There isn't any way of keeping gone that I can find. It is just something that happens with all cars. It is particularly bad with new cars for awhile, but it gets better. I would suggest sticking to wiping down the windshield with a dry microfiber. There are lots of different methods, but none of them do anything that just wiping the haze with a dry microfiber will do.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived