LegacyGT.com

Think my alternator went out

Yesterday my 08 lgt started to act weird on me. It would start up then just turn off, no sputtering so it isn't a fuel issue. I just used a volt meter and when on the car is reading 13.9V, so I am pretty damn sure it is the alternator. Anybody have any other ideas?

In all my years, if the car continues to start, the alternator is charging the battery.

13.9 is what the output is to charge the 12V battery.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

the car will still start but with the alternator either going out or already out, the car is drawing directly off of the battery. I am just trying to find out if there is anything else that could be causing this issue.

I understand that.

There is another thread on here currently, that is kind of the same issue.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/05-legacy-gt-issues-190679.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I was not throwing any codes on friday, and the car doesn't bog down at all, it literally just cuts off. I am driving a 5eat, I tried pumping the gas but it still cuts off. I have a really good warranty coverage so I am just thinking about taking the car to a mechanic, it's only a 50 dollar copay for anything they have to do.

13.9 is a normal charging voltage=alternator is charging fine.

^+1.

A simple thing to do as well is to check your battery terminals. It has happened more than once on this forum (me included) where one of the terminals gets loose and randomly shuts the engine off.

Yeah that was one of the first things I checked. I am waiting on a call from my mechanic right now so we will see

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Well good luck. BTW did you check both the Battery and Alternator? From reading anyway it sounds like a loose or unplugged vacuum hose if anything. I know when I was fiddling around with my car I forgot to plug in a hose by the BPV and it would start then die(FACEPALM). Doesn't sound like anything too serious though.

Another option: take the alternator out and take it to a parts store and have them do a load test. This would solve your alternator guessing if it passes or does not pass the load test.
My wife's balls are delicious.

so, it was not what any of us thought it was. The ECU has a short in it, so now I get to wait for a new one to show up. Awesomeness, there is nothing I can do but wait patiently.

Is it by chance covered under warrenty ?

start the car and then disconnect the battery. that's an easy way to tell if your alternator is bad

I've heard that this can actually ruin your alternator or other electronic components, at least on bikes. Does anyone know for sure if that's true?

Archived