LegacyGT.com

anyone goofed with idea of using the hole in the rear shelf?

-HEF-

i am gonna do some measuring today and see if there are predrilled holes for screws to mount a small sub. if i can get a nice 8" in there, i think i am gonna try it out. what i lose to it being an open-air sub, i think i will gain because the sub will actually be attached to the chassis. thoughts?

Isn't that where the MacIntosh version sub mounts? Someone posted it before in another thread: [img]http://www.legacysti.com/files/in007_wp_l.jpg[/img] I think it's a good idea (with the right sub). If you're really worried about response, why not just build a little fibreglass box to suspend?

[quote name='-HEF-']also, does anyone else think that where the gray meets the beige on the pillars looks hideous?[/quote] AMEN!!! That is the single reason that a Taupe interior is not a consideration for me. I like black interiors, though, so no big loss. The weird seams at the bottom of the rear quarter windows is the worst look going from tan/yellow tone to grey/white tone. At least black to grey wouldn't be such a hue change, just a lightness change. BTW: that JLAudio sub looks great, but I wonder how many cubic feet of trunk space would be lost to a box for a speaker that deep? That thing is HUGE, for such a small diameter driver. probably sound good, tho. Maybe one should just 'glass in a box to extend the back of the drivers side rear seat, from the trunk floor to the rear deck, to the left of the arm-rest porthole, and mount the amp on the back side of it, or on the back of the passenger side rear seat.

It's been many years since I was into car audio, but I used to have JL's as well. They're great and since that sub needs less than 1 cu.ft, you could glass in the back end and still have the bulk of usable room in the trunk. Do it! 8)

HEF, although I love your thought of putting a sub up there, and also am fond of that particular jl sub series, i'm no so sure how it would sound in a free-air enclosure. Your best bet would probably to up for the 10" and put it in a sealed box, firing towards the trunk, with the option for more thump by opening up the pass-through. This is from my own previous encounters/experiences, but hey, if you go that way, let us know how it sounds. You may want to look into a free-air sub before opting for that jl. I just don't think it would do it justice.

thanks for the suggestions. i do currently have a 12" in the trunk and it thumps pretty good, but the idea of using the hole in the rear shelf is almost too tempting to pass up.

I'm not going to argue with that, I looked at mine today and the gears started moving in my head. Forgot to measure it, but I will. If you went w/ that jl 8" and built a box around the hole in the trunk (though not pleasing to the eye when looking in your trunk), would probably just sound incredible. Hmnn.. the possibilities......

[quote name='-HEF-']i am gonna do some measuring today and see if there are predrilled holes for screws to mount a small sub. if i can get a nice 8" in there, i think i am gonna try it out. what i lose to it being an open-air sub, i think i will gain because the sub will actually be attached to the chassis. thoughts?[/quote] I think unless you mount it through with the grill the rear deck cover will vibrate...no?

I just measured mine today and an 8" free-air would be perfect. The JL looks a little deep and might buldge out into the trunk a bit with the enclosure. Would be even better if you can make a port on the deck for a ported enclosure. I plan on just finding a good free-air sub to start with. Maybe something out of a lexus or infinity system, those are great bargains on ebay. Ideally, I'll find the Lexus Mark Levinson sub for a good price.

Archived