So I ordered the Fel-pro gasket set, gates timing kit with water pump, Subaru OEM thermostat and the upper rad hose.
I have been watching YT videos and tutorials all over the place and I feel I can pull it out.
After watching many ways, due to location restirctions and overall tool availability I will be doing with the engine on the car and either removing the heads from above or below.
I have a few specific questions and hopefully someone can chime in.
1) Is there a way to rent a precision straight edge and how long is enough for the ej25s heads? (The car never overheated so I am hoping I won't have to resurface the heads) Feelers gauge can be easily and inexpensively bought at HF but I hate to pay $80 for a tool that I will use once at the most
2) What type of torque wrench would you recommend for this job? 3/8 or 1/2? I am planning to rent one at autozone
3) I read that many have managed to remove the heads without removing the intake manifold, just lifting it just enough. Any tips on this approach?
4) I am planning to reuse the bolts (I know this has been argued) but I found enough evidence of them being reused often. My question is whether the torque sequence is the same if I am reusing them. 2/5 - 1/6 - 4/3 and you loose them backwards?
5) Besides a breaking bar, a decent decimal set and good 12 point 14mm is there any essential tool I might need down the road?
6) What the consensus as to how to remove the crankshaft seals? I remember them being a nightmare to remove when I did the timing belt on another 2000 wagon although is gonna be a lot easier with the heads in hand.
7) Could you please pray for me???