Good to hear that there are other active posters that seem to live in the Milwaukee area. I have been a subaru guy since 2000 when I bought my first. Here is the list of what i have owned so far:
1) 1991 legacy ls wagon 4at (died with 200,000 with a cracked head)
2) 1998 legacy outback 5mt (sold with 158,000)
3) 2001 legacy gt ltd 5mt (sold with 160,000)
4) 2006 forester xt 4at (sold with 77,000)
5) 2008 tribeca ltd 4at (current wifes car)
6) 2005 legacy gt ltd 5mt (my current car)
They are good in my book. I have never owned an impreza or any older ones. I would love to get an early 90's turbo legacy to use as my winter beater. When I picked up my lgt I almost pulled the trigger on an 04 bmw 328xi, but I stuck to the subies. So far so good.