LegacyGT.com

LGT 08 - 5EAT Harsh Shift on 2->3

golunnova

Hello all,

Around March 2012, I realized my decision to purchase a Legacy 2.5i was silly and I should've went with a LGT right from the bat. So...I found and purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2008 LGT 5EAT from Competition Subaru (don't judge!) with 60k miles on it. Only mods performed was bringing it to Stage 1 with a Cobb AP and a ProSport Halo Boost Gauge.

I have been noticing a harsh upshift from 2nd to 3rd gear. The shift gets more harsh as more throttle is applied. Called up North Coast Subaru to schedule an appointment to take a look at it since I have the 6yr - 100k powertrain warranty. I was hoping it would be as simple as a reflash TCU / Relearn until the service guy told me my car's original transmission was replaced with a remanufactured transmission.

There was no mention of a transmission replacement in the carfax report!! :mad: The only item listed was "Automatic Transmission Checked". Such BS! Shouldn't all warranty work be documented on the carfax reports?

Please don't flame me for depending on carfax reports...:lol:

I'm scheduled to bring the car to the dealer on May 30th and I'm debating if should leave the car with the Stage 1 AP Map or flash it back to stock.

Help! :spin:

If you ask me, and I'm the first person to admit I'm not an expert, the TCU came from the factory like this because 2>3 gear pulls when driven enthusiastically need a firm hard shift. It definitely feels different from the 05-07 5eat shift, as even those equipped with a VB mod don't seem as quick to my eyes.

Alternatively, you can attempt to do this yourself with a laptop or netbook and the FreeSSM software. If you do a search you should be able to find it.

Alternatively, my 2-3 shift is a little laggy, not as quick as 1-2 or 3-4-5.... did a relearn procedure and it improved it quite a bit but can tell sometimes that it delays. it comes/goes. did atf flush. time for vb mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to do it with FreeSSM but from what I have read on the forums, it doesn't seem like FreeSSM will allow me to clear memory 2 on the TCU on 08/09 LGTs.

it does. buy a vagcom cable from amazon for $15, install drivers listed in the tuning forum, download free ssm, you can connect to the tcu and clear mem 1 and 2. ive done it on my 08 lgt.

• 6 months later...

Archived