LegacyGT.com

Satellite Antenna

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be interested in the size range of a satellite antenna's as utilized for a Nav.system. Aren't these the stubby/short antenna as seen on Audi's, et cetera.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

for xm or sirius? mines outside, but that would be an interesting place to put it. were you thinking about trying it?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

It's an aluminum wing, not plastic. I put my XM antenna in the left/front area of the dash & it works fine...v. easy to install there too. Probably would get slightly better reception somewhere on the roof, but I couldn't quickly/easily figure out a good way to get it up there.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

How do you know it's not plastic. Did you take one apart.
Saw that coming from a mile away. Sorry, I guess maybe I assumed too much from this line item on the Subaru website:

"Aluminum-alloy tailgate with integrated rear spoiler " I suppose technically it doesn't say anything about the integrated spoiler being aluminum...even if it was however, aluminum is not ferrous/magnetic, and will not provide a stable platform for your magnetic antenna...of course, niether is my dash, and that seems to work ok.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I am trying to find a good installer in the Denver area who could put the Sirius Starbase in the Chubby and hide the antenna inside the wing. If the wing is plastic it will work find. In my other car I have it under the rear hatch cover and it works with no ground. (Just tape holding it to the cover.) If it does not work I could always put it on the dash or I was thinking of puting it under the bra on the hood but I dont want to do that if I dont have to.

It's an aluminum wing, not plastic. I put my XM antenna in the left/front area of the dash & it works fine...v. easy to install there too. Probably would get slightly better reception somewhere on the roof, but I couldn't quickly/easily figure out a good way to get it up there.

If you have the wagon (which is what I have), I mounted my antenna on the roof by the tail gate. I centered it and put it close to the edge and ran the wire underneath the seal to the molding inside the car and then hid it underneath the molding to the front of the car, underneath the drivers side dash and up to the receiver. only took about 5 minutes to do.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 2 weeks later...
Well I had my radio installed. The Starbase in the Chubby and the antenna in the wing. On the right side of the brake light is a metal plate on the bottom side of the wing so I put it there and it sticks to the metal. It looks great.

"The Starbase in the Chubby"??? didn't know my car could have a chubby:D

seriously.....do you have pics??

If you lived in the Mountains of Colorado you can replace your winshield once a year or keep the bra on the front of the car like I have been doing for the past 11 years. (The paint is fine). If the paint gets bad I will buy a new car.

Thanks for the idea MishMan:D

disclaimer...If you break anything its not my fault

I have a LGT Wagon. It should be the same for an Outback

Heres how you remove the wing spoiler for a wagon and can place your satellite antenna inside for a clean look....;)

1: Open the rear hatch

2: there are 3 blk nuts circled in red and 2 blk rubber gromets circled in green to remove.

3: You need to remove the surounding trim to get to the other 3 screws. Its hard getting that rear trim off. I removed the drivers side first then the top piece and and passenger side last. It feels as if its gonna break when your popping it off. TAKE YOUR TIME.

4: Three more nuts circled in purple. Be real careful unscrewing them because my rear gate ATE one. It fell to the bottom.. Havent heard it rattle yet. Whats a install if you havent lost a screw/nut or have an extra at the end...

5:Once you have a total of six nuts and 2 rubber gromets removed you carefully can lift the spoiler up. The light is still attatched so dont go yanking it to hard. Theres plenty of access without having to disconnect the wiring harness.

6: I placed my antenna on the drivers side of the spoiler

I drove from a good 35 miles and didnt have any reception problems.

Good luck to all

RearGate.thumb.jpg.b2f6b36c2114498e7a292762f4a4b496.jpg

sidetrim.thumb.jpg.662b1258d1f79f94f13392c8bb5bd430.jpg

spoilerup.thumb.jpg.f069c047aa2a3056f2b248793ce51b93.jpg

antennacloseup.thumb.jpg.b91f71dba8fa88c2a4f267bf7b352550.jpg

Got Torque ?

Thanks for putting up the pictures of the installed. I payed to have my radio installed so I could not take pictures while they were working on my car. The only thing that looks different is that on my car the installer put the wire through the rubber gasket that the factory wires for the brake light goes through. My installer told me he placed the antenna on a piece of metal that was on the right side of the brake light inside the wing. The magnet on the antenna stuck to the metal so no need for tape. My reception so far has been 10 bars. The only time it goes below that is when I go through the Eisenhower Tunnel. I have a letter into the Governor of Colorado requesting a satellite transmitter be put in the Tunnel.

• 2 months later...
under the rubber trim then under the plastic trim pieces in the rear. then under that panel wear that piece is for the factory jack...under part of the rear seat ...under the door trim then under my seat to the center console near the heated seat switches

Got Torque ?

In my other car which is a 1999 Outback I couldn't put the antenna in the wing, because it is sealed so I put it inside the hood scoop. I didn't know how to run the wire through the firewall without drilling a hole so I ran the wire behind the driver's door. Good luck to all.

Mish Man

Archived