LegacyGT.com

The Official SMOG Thread

Let's get some documentation going

2005 Legacy GT

5MT

BNR 16G, AEM Intake, Cobb Catted Downpipe

Infamous1 Road Tune

Passed the sniffer test, barely

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133955&stc=1&d=1353000515

Post up yours in similar format

Car:

Mods:

Emission Specs:

Smog.jpg.5ee24927049599e32306f65cbc938c0a.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
I picked up a used 05 LGT wagon and when I took it in for a smog check for transfer of ownership, it failed the functional test. Apparently the car is not communicating with the computer. Everything else passed. The smog check guy asked me if I recently changed the battery, and told me to drive around 60 miles and take it back. The previous owner must've reset the battery. I've already driven the car for 60 miles prior to taking it to a smog check. Does anyone know what the drive cycle is for these cars? I thought it was 50 miles, but apparently not. Or anyone has other insight as to what could be causing the issue?

Stage 2 with a stock DP - 1 gutted cat and 1 good one

Been running that setup for a couple years.

Failed recently. Passed everything but the startup

Likely cause is that over time the 2nd cat started breaking up.

on startup???

the smog tech should have left your car running before he did the test......gotta keep the cats warm or they arent as effective at cleaning up the exhaust.

on startup???

the smog tech should have left your car running before he did the test......gotta keep the cats warm or they arent as effective at cleaning up the exhaust.

Sorry, I failed on IDLE, not startup.

I may still have the sheet, I'll see if I can dig it up sometime this week.

I've driven about 150 miles since the first failed smog check. Today I had the car checked out at Suby Specialties. All OBDII monitors are ready except for the evap monitor. Does anyone if it's allowed to have 1 non-ready monitor to pass smog? I just want to get this thing over with so I can register the car in my name.

IIRC you are allowed 1 monitor that is not ready on model years 2002 or newer. 2001 and older are allowed 2 not ready.

Took it in this morning for re-test. The smog tech checked the monitors, and sure enough the evap monitor still wasn't ready. He looked it up, and said that you can have 1 monitor not ready as long as its' not the cat monitor. Apparently evap monitor takes the longest to reset. But car passed, and now I can finally register it.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with "monitors" in this sense.

What are they?

They are a set of special conditions the car has to meet to trigger the ecu to tell the smog machine that the car is ready to be smogged. The monitors reset every time you reset the ECU or the CEL. They keep people from clearing an emissions related CEL code and then trying to pass smog. A CEL is an automatic fail.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Archived