LegacyGT.com

Computer Chip Problem

MN T-Man

I purchased my 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Limited in January. Within a couple of thousand miles, my trip odometer began displaying "ILL.x" (where "x" is a number, usually a 5 or 6; the wording looks like a "one" with two upside-down "sevens") in place of the mileage. The display would last only a few seconds and was unpredictable. I took my car for service, and the dealer reprogrammed "the computer chip." No explanation regarding which computer chip. The display was fine for awhile, but it returned within a 1,000 miles. I made another trip to the dealer, who replaced the comuter chip. The display was fine for a couple of thousand miles, but "ILL.x" returned. This last time, the display on my radio/CD player went blank, although the radio played fine, for a day. The next day, the display began working as mysteriously as it had quit. When I asked the dealer if the chip controlled the display for the radio/CD player, they did not know. Everything works well although I am losing confidence in the data for mileage, fuel consumption, etc. Does anyone know anything about this problem?

You need to adjust the brightness on your panel display lights. It's probably on the edge or you're bumping it with your knee from time to time.

Changing the dimmer for your panel lights will show anywhere from ILL.1 - ILL.6, with 6 being brightest. It ILL. stands for Illumination.

As for the radio display, several of us have had some weird little issues there. But it seems for most of us, it's happened once or twice and we've never yet seen it show up. Go figure.

I'll experiment to see if I am seated in such a way that I brush against the control for the level of illumination. The dealer, Subaru Tech, and I all assumed that "ILL" meant the vehicle was sick. Your responses raise serious questions about the quality of service from the dealer and Subaru Tech Support! Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, you shamed me into doing my homework. I confirmed that I was not brushing against the illumination control, which is located to the left of the control for the exterior mirrors. I can reach the control with my knee with effort and some discomfort, so I doubt that I am unintentionally adjusting it. However, I will be very conscious of it from now on. I infer from the reaction of the service manager at Clements Subaru in Rochester, MN, and her report of the Subaru Technical Support folks that the trip odometer is not programmed to periodically display the level of illumination. (At least the value of "x" is correct; the last time the trip odometer displayed a "5," the illumination was set at the fifth level.) I can't wait to talk to the service manager when they open on Tuesday! Thanks again for your responses.

I'm betting the dial was maybe between the two. But maybe not, you would't be the first to have this periodically show up. How is Clements, by the way. I remember getting some cars from there on dealer trades about 3 years back when I was selling Subies.

Your comment about the dial being between two values resonated with me. I couldn't figure out how the dial was on the fifth level instead of the sixth, so I suspect I might have adjusted it when I was wiping down the dashboard, brushed the dial, and it ended up not quite on the exact level. Clements appears to be thriving. Their sales force inspires confidence. I just wish I could say the same about their service department.

Well, this of course STILL doesn't even begin to put to rest he issues with the radio not functioning properly. I would like to hear what happens with that. I wonder if it's a loose connector on the back of the radio. I would pull it out and check to see if the connectors are all securely fastened, but then I've also got the VDC head unit, so I have experience yanking it out, and don't want them messing with it too much!

If I were you, I'd be sure to still take it in and get that checked out.

Boy, the "ILL" indicator is one of those "good intentions" that backfired on Subaru; they would have been better off not displaying the illumination level with all the confusion it causes. I bet I've seen 20-30 posts on all the various web forums where this freaks people out.

I think that knob must be crappy and have contacts that tarnish or corrode easily.

Craig

mine is doing it pretty consitantly now when I accelerate. I'm NOT hitting the knob, and when I try and touch it to ajust it off the 'bump' in between 5/6, it has NO play... its all the way on 6. Its either VERY sensitive to moving off 6, or something is going on with the knob

• 2 weeks later...

The local technician and Subaru Technical Support decided that the transmission control module was failing, and they replaced The TCM. I spoke with the technician and asked about the message being related to the illumination level indicator. He assured me that it was not the illumination switch but was the TCM. So far, I have not seen the "ILL" display unless I adjust the illumination level.

Regarding the display on the radio disappearing, the service technician could not duplicate that problem. He did not think it was related to the TCM.

W.T.F.!???

TCU???? I've never heard that one before. 5MT cars don't have a TCU (well, not an electronic one ;) ) and this hasn't been a problem strictly confined to 5EAT cars. I have a feeling you should find a new dealer, pronto! I know it's not so easy where you live, but this smacks of dealer inbreeding.

I get the ILL5/6 thing every month or so. I roll it down, roll it back up to 6 and it goes away for a few weeks. It's obviously a POS switch...end of story.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

• 3 weeks later...
I've got my radio randomly going up and down in volume on video...

It also switches to cd out of the blue some times.

I'm almost positive the random volume changes are because the knob is stuck between two detents so its intermittently contacting causing the volume to go up and down. I've experience this and after adjusting the knob i realized it was between detents.

Archived