LegacyGT.com

heard knocking on the way home - intermittent

Coming home from work monday, pulling out of a gas station I heard a knock-sound akin to bad CV joints. Within a few seconds, the sound went away. I heard it twice more on the way home, each time sounding a couple seconds. After the third time the CEL illuminated. As I was approaching my driveway the oil light came on, but shut off when I made the right turn into the driveway. I added a little over half-quart of oil. Existing oil was clean. CELs show OCV problems. Sound hasn't happened while revving in the driveway, or driving up and down the 150-feet or so driveway.

Preparing for the worst - new shortblock? The clicking/knocking screamed 'rod' to me, except it wasn't happening all the time, AND the car had no decrease in power up until I heard the noise. Idle is perfect.

Thoughts? Ideas?

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 1/2 a quart of oil ? have you checked it since ?

The fix for the OCV cel is sometimes, to remove the banjo filter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

no oil delivery!

scenario- you spun a bearing and now bearing material is clogging banjo filter(s) delivering to your turbo and avcs solenoid- this causes ocv codes since there is no oil being delivered to the avcs. if oil light came on, its too late. drain oil and inspect for metal flakes/shavings

Only 1/2 a quart of oil ? have you checked it since ?

The fix for the OCV cel is sometimes, to remove the banjo filter.

Indeed - after I added the 1/2ish quart, oil was right at full line.

no oil delivery!

scenario- you spun a bearing and now bearing material is clogging banjo filter(s) delivering to your turbo and avcs solenoid- this causes ocv codes since there is no oil being delivered to the avcs. if oil light came on, its too late. drain oil and inspect for metal flakes/shavings

If I find no shavings/flakes?

material means = spun bearings = means complete bottom-end rebuild = thousands? fwiw, when the oil light came on, there were no funny sounds - engine was running smoothly.

well, you were low on oil and took a hard turn causing the oil to swish to the side of the pan causing a brief "no oil pressure" scenario, maybe it wasnt long enough without oil to do certain damage but i'd drain the oil and look at it to be sure. the cel can come from a brief lack of oil pressure as well

I am under the impression that since the ECU does not log oil pressure, it has no idea whether you have oil pressure or not. The 2psi switch is wired directly to the gauge cluster light. Only the power steering pressure switch goes to the ECU.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I hate these threads. Good luck OP, hope everything turns out alright. Keep us posted!

Thanks man. Considering fixing the car, trading it. :( Don't wanna...but...might buy something to leave stock. Mazdaspeed3, etc.

well, you were low on oil and took a hard turn causing the oil to swish to the side of the pan causing a brief "no oil pressure" scenario, maybe it wasnt long enough without oil to do certain damage but i'd drain the oil and look at it to be sure. the cel can come from a brief lack of oil pressure as well

Yeah - will drain the oil with a screen and magnet to look for or catch metal.

I am under the impression that since the ECU does not log oil pressure, it has no idea whether you have oil pressure or not. The 2psi switch is wired directly to the gauge cluster light. Only the power steering pressure switch goes to the ECU.

...so what would that mean? - edit - so you're saying the CEL would come up from oil pressure? gotcha.

1. a screen will not catch fine bearing material

2. bearing material is nonferrous

3. what Dave is saying is the cel is not because of the oil pressure light triggering, it's because of the avcs not getting oil. the cel "mechanism" doesn't know what the oil pressure is or if it even has any.

I should have read your post completely before I responded. Shame on me.

Your question was answered by bmx045. AVCS is actuated by oil pressure, so no oil pressure = AVCS CEL.

...so what would that mean? - edit - so you're saying the CEL would come up from oil pressure? gotcha.

I am curious whether your oil pressure light came on at all. It is literally a basic pressure switch without ECU logic. Usually when it comes on, even if only for a second, it means you have a very serious problem. If yours did not come on, then oil pressure stayed above 2psi. Not necessarily enough to keep metal off metal, but you may have a chance.

As others have said, drain the oil and see what you get. One thing I notice on here is people will cold start the car after such an incident. That can be what actually kills the engine for good, since the metal in the oil is filtered when warm, but NOT when cold and the filter is in bypass mode. If there is metal in your oil pan, and you cold start, you're sucking it right into the motor. Anyways, good luck.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I'm kind of thinking like climberD, I wonder if you have a engine problem at all.

You should be able to see the metal in the oil. Or on the bottom of the pan as you dump the oil back into the bottles to recycle it.

Might be time for a direct reading oil pressure gauge. Pull the fuel pump fuse and spin the engine over to see what you have for oil pressure. Put the gauge as close to the engine as you can and still see it or have someone else watch it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

a new shortblock is $1900. you'll need a full gasket kit with that, $215, a timing belt kit wouldn't be a bad idea while its apart. that's not including labor

WELCOME TO TURBO SUBARU'S BROTATO SALAD

Timing Belt, H2O pump, etc, is > 3000 miles old.

I think I found evidence of 'Terrible'. :-/ Found a couple/few larger pieces, but noticed no shavings. Here's the thing - as the oil drained dirt fell in (dirt roads = dirty undercar) The pieces in the pic though, I couldn't positively identify as dirt.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113387&stc=1&d=1330639044

So - where does one buy a $1900 short block? I know...Search.

:D

oil.thumb.jpg.b0bc24e8a559ff3f19daffaea8ce2cd2.jpg

Well are they chunks of metal or rocks? :rolleyes: bearing material will look goldish in color.

You go to the dealer and say you need an ej257 shortblock and gasket kit for 06 LGT. They will need to order it more than likely. Couple days turn around usually.

yeah - they were a bit goldish. As I said, these pieces, and a couple others, I couldn't say for sure are rocks. They wouldn't break up, and I could almost feel a sharp edge.

Archived