LegacyGT.com

2008 Spec B Exhaust questions.

I've been out of the country a lot since getting my vehicle. Originally I was going to go with the Cobb stage 2 package which included the catted DP and exhaust system. Instead I purchased just the Accessport.

The Cobb exhaust system excluding the DP is not available new anymore since it is out of production. I'm looking for a good exhaust system and catted DP and an UP for my car that will give me decent performance gains without having too much drone while driving on the highway.

Are there any setups out there with good performance gains that pass emissions in VA, or would I have to reinstall my stock UP and DP? If so, would I get even better gains if I upgraded my headers?

Any thoughts and suggestions about this would be helpful. I've been through the site and listened to a lot of different exhaust setups on this forum and want to make sure I make the right purchases if I'm going to be investing money in my car.

exhaust section has your answers if searched....ill give a brief explanation.

Cat back system vary....youtube is your friend for how it sounds.

Any DP with a proper tune will let you pass emmissions when plugged into the diagnostics as longs the codes are off and no CEL. If you have a strict visual garage you wont pass with any mods

Catback have minimal gains, stock is good for 300awhp. Headers not really worth it for a DD.

IMO you don't gain much with a intake, get a good high flow air filter, I have a Perrin in the stock box. I'm catless up/dp in my 05, with stock exhaust, sounds pretty good, if you want more noise from the stock exhaust check out this.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-hog-zawst-system-sound-power-patented-washer-technology-35764.html

Even with the exhaust the hp gain is about 10-12, is it worth the money.

You can do the washer thing now and see how you like the sound. Or do what I did, I removed the mufflers from my 09 Spec B and put the muffler deletes I had made for the wagon years ago, on it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds great HD! I've seen a lot of negative things posted about changing out the stock intake on these cars. I'm assuming it's not a big deal as long as it is properly tuned for the new intake?

As long as you get tuned for your new air intake. You be ok.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

^^^ Yep, intake was upgrade do to FMIC hot pipe interference with stock air box. Cat back was upgraded because the stock one had about one more NY winter before it hit the ground. Cracks by the mid-pipe flange, hangers ready to give up the fight to hang on & muffler flanges was reduce to less than 1/2 of it's original thickness. When I went stage 2. I plan on reusing the OEM cat-back, but after I saw it was on it's last leg. I decided upgrade it.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Are there any setups out there with good performance gains that pass emissions in VA, or would I have to reinstall my stock UP and DP? If so, would I get even better gains if I upgraded my headers?

Im in VA also... its hit or miss on passing VA emisions and inspections. It all depends on what shop you go to. I have the catted COBB down pipe and one mechanic said he would pass me because it "looked" like I had a cat. I dont know what that meant since, I really do have one.

I know some people that run a catless down pipe and have no problems. I wish I could run a catless down pipe but I dont want to risk it.

where in NOVA are you guys. You should come out to one of the meets in springfield at the hard times on monday nights. Im almost always there and my boy also come out most of the time with his legacy as well. Both of us have exhaust. if you want to hear in person.

where in NOVA are you guys. You should come out to one of the meets in springfield at the hard times on monday nights. Im almost always there and my boy also come out most of the time with his legacy as well. Both of us have exhaust. if you want to hear in person.

I was actually going to come out there tonight, but decided not too with the rain. I've been there before. A few of my buddies bring their SRT8 jeeps down that way so I was hanging with them.

One thing I'd like to avoid is the snap pop after hard acceleration I've seen with some setups. I've been thinking of either the Catted Perrin or Cobb downpipe with either the SPT or Borla exhaust. I just see that a lot of people invest good money on their exhaust system only to be disappointed and I don't want to end up like that.

Thanks for all the information/support!

next monday you should stop by. when you say pop after hard excel do you mean as in backfire and or fireball? if so i would def go catted. i have gimmick exhaust and for the price i paid im extremly happy. Yes it is cheaper and fitment is a little off but not that bad. I believe my boy has borla on his legacy?

Cool, I wanted to go catted anyways. I don't mind spending the extra money on expensive parts as long as they are good quality and get me where I want to be. Yeah, talking about the loud popping I've been hearing on a lot of the exhaust systems when they rev to redline and then back off the gas. Make sense? I would like to hear your buddies borla and see what you have done to your car. My car is basically a clean slate and I have some extra time on my hands.

I'll most likely be there around 8PM on Monday.

I've been out of the country a lot since getting my vehicle. Originally I was going to go with the Cobb stage 2 package which included the catted DP and exhaust system. Instead I purchased just the Accessport.

The Cobb exhaust system excluding the DP is not available new anymore since it is out of production. I'm looking for a good exhaust system and catted DP and an UP for my car that will give me decent performance gains without having too much drone while driving on the highway.

Any thoughts and suggestions about this would be helpful. I've been through the site and listened to a lot of different exhaust setups on this forum and want to make sure I make the right purchases if I'm going to be investing money in my car.

So, how do you like the Access-port? Are the power gains very noticeable? Any problems with it? I just purchased an 08 Spec B myself, and I am considering getting one for mine.I was just curious about how it Co exist with the SI Drive? Its from my understanding that each mode, I, S, and S#, are all different maps that the Factory ECU already has programmed right? So, would it just store the new map from the AP to the S# mode?.. I'm a total noob as you can plainly see, and I don't know much about how the system works obviously. Just thought that you or somebody else reading your forum might have the answers that I'm looking for..

exhaust section has your answers if searched....ill give a brief explanation.

Cat back system vary....youtube is your friend for how it sounds.

Any DP with a proper tune will let you pass emmissions when plugged into the diagnostics as longs the codes are off and no CEL. If you have a strict visual garage you wont pass with any mods

Catback have minimal gains, stock is good for 300awhp. Headers not really worth it for a DD.

Header did great for me...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/socal-dyno-day-and-bbq-meet-saturday-november-11-sign-46311p6.html

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

I have a gimmick with a added 12" resonator, my parents can sit in the car no problem. It opens up with load. btw im catless throwing flames at night full boost.

Having the dual exhaust makes our cars a bit quieter than imprezas :)

WBL,

I like the accessport. I feel like it gave me a small gain while smoothing out the powerband a bit. The map you add to your AP will cover S#, S and I driving modes. You don't need a map for each mode.

Hmmm.. So nothing happens when you switch modes on the SI Drive after the AP is installed?.. Thats sorta disappointing to know. I was hoping that you could store different maps for each mode!! That would have been Kickass! But, all well. Its not gonna stop me from getting one! :D

Thanks wannalegacy.

Something definitely happens when you switch between S#, S and I. It still functions like normal.

Really?.. So how does that work then?.. Does it just UP every mode? Like, theI mode becomes the old S# mode?. The S mode becomes a S## mode?, and the S# mode becomes a S### mode?. Lol!

Archived