Got me a 1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon with 290,000 on it back in November as winter driver ($700)... my DD is a 2008 350Z Nismo so that is NOT allowed to come out and play until after St. Patrick's day. My Mechanical background is a 1990 300ZX twin turbo engine rebuild, interior swap and 20+ mods, Brake jobs, Interior work (stereos etc), exhaust swap, CAI Installs +++.... Sold the 300ZX for my 350 Nis... so now my new project and first subaru ever... I know the forums and the people on them and yes I know this thread is useless without pics!! LOL ....
So the good on my 96 wagon,
- Solid no rust from AZ had a front end fender bender but nothing to scary for me to fix
- solid no rust
- other than needing a good vacuum and wipe down, no cracks on dash, original glass and tint, no burns
mechanics - Wipers, washer fluid, heat blows hot, not sure on AC cause its a whopping 9 degrees today, hazards all working...
- Been sitting in the same spot on driveway day in/out and not a single drip on driveway, I feel that very impressive for an engine with almost 300K
- Works flawlessly in 4+ inches of snow!! And the whole reason on getting this car....
And now the bad and the input I need from you subaru jedi's to get me moving in right direction
- Definitely a leak somewhere considering a full OEM replacement
- Clutch feels good and car shifts smooth but MY GOD the stick is as loose as a goose... flops around in neutral that its almost comical
- Rough idle and hovers around 900 RPM (Idle adjust?) but quite smooth at 1100....
- Definitely something going on here where it is burning some oil... just by the white smoke in exhaust and the need to occasionally top off oil its burning some...just not sure where/why as there are no evident leaks occurring (Head gasket maybe?)
- This car is loose side to side and squeaky up/down... this car has the cornering capability of a wet towel and lets just say you shouldn't squeak like a freight train when you go over a speed bump...
Repairs completed/in progress....
EBrake Not Working
- Thanks to your awesome forum I was able to fix my ebrake last night from a nice quick/tight write from this forum.... So Thanks and that's done!
HVAC Switch lights out and instrument panel really dim
- Ordered my LED replacements from a write up here thanks again and hopefully by the end of next week I can adjust my heater without having to turn on the dome light!!
I will get some pics loaded both in/out ....and I will start searching the threads for some of the problem areas...Thanks for any/all feedback