UPDATE: PICTURES re-linked and ATTACHED
First let me say that this is a pretty good pain the ass. It took me 2 hours, but thats better then dishing out $500 to the dealer. Also, wear gloves; both of my thumbs are shredded after performing this install.
Window motor purchased from permier subaru for $124.
1. First you must remove the door panel. Instructions for that can be found here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20069
2. Next peal back the plastic, its held on by silicone, so it’ll stick back up there when you are done. Also remove the plastic panel on the bottom left of the door. You can pretty much just pull it off, it is held in with a few plastic clips attached to the piece.
3. Locate the window motor and crank gear(Circled in red) and the 4 bolts(Circled in green) holding it on. Remove all 4 bolts, BUT be careful, if the window is up, it will want to come down, so you must slowly ease the window down. Probably best to have a second pair of hands…I didn’t.
4. Next thing that we have to do is remove the motor from behind the door. To figure out just how to do this, it took me about 45 minutes. Find the two nuts holding the top rail(Circled in blue, already removed) and the one nut holding the bottom rail(Circled in red). Remove these nuts. Also, notice the small tab (pointed at with Pink Arrow). Bend this tab back so we can slide off the rails.
WARNING: After doing this and bending the tab back, it broke off!!! So, be careful. I crimped the end of the rail to make up for the missing tab.
5. Slide off the rails and pull out the motor and crank
6. The motor is held on by 3 bolts (circled in red).
7. New motor
8. Put everything back together. One piece of advice, when I was mounting the motor back in, I could only get one bolt to mount to the door. So I attached the window switch and carefully pulled the window up. After one or two taps on the switch, the motor moved right into place.
As its stands, the window works. I also performed the window switch mod so its not clunky and works better then new. One issue is that when the window goes up, it stuggles the last inch or so. Also when the window is down and i close the door, it makes a loud hollow sounding sound. My guess is the there is a guide on the inner edge of the door that it came off of, so when i get another free weekend, i'll try and tackle that.