Today we discuss fog light replacement. If you are like me this:
may have happened to you while enjoying your Legacy.
Mine was due to a large rock that made its way off a dump truck while driving in I-64 near Covington.
As you can see once the glass lens is fractured it doesn't take long for it to rust and corrode the internal housing resulting in a nasty looking fog light.
I found a killer deal on Amazon for a replacement light:
So lets get started
1. Jack the car up a few inches to gain more room to work with the light assembly. **Note you may be able to do it just fine without the jack if you have inclined driveway or can park such that the front of the car hangs over an edge.
2. Get down and look for the driver side splash guard pop-its:
If you have never had your front bumper off you may have more pop-its than shown. I have had my bumper off to be painted and did not reinstall all the pop-its.
3. Remove the pop-its that secure the splash guard to the bottom edge of the bumper.
4. Take your flat head and pry out the guard (it is a flexible piece and can be done using your hands as well. Once done pull it down to expose the foglight from the bottom. Also unplug the wire from the bulb.
5. Here is where a flash light will come in handy. Shine it into the cavity to find the two 10mm bolts that affix the light assembly to the the inside of the bumper:
6. Remove these two bolts. Now there are two sets of tab/clips that hold the light onto the edges of the bumper housing instead of trying to pry these off with your flat head (and inevitably break them) simply push the fog light back out of the housing through the front of the bumper. You will have a nice empty space.
Here is what the crappy cracked light looks like beside a new shiny one:
Mine was full of sand and water.
7. Put the new assembly back into the bumper housing the same way it came out, making sure to push it firmly into place. You will know when it is in far enough b/c the two 10mm bolt holes will line up with the housing holes. Also note from this picture:
The tabs on the replacement light will be perpendicular to the edges of the plastic housing went pushed fully into place.
8. Hand tighten the bolts and reattach the wire to the bulb. **This housing comes loaded with a bulb so no need to buy a bulb
9. Before snugging the bolts turn your lights on and make sure they are aimed properly. The best way to determine this is to park in front of a wall, door etc and look at the light pattern. If the lower light beam is off adjust it by pushing( from the front of the fog light) on the top or bottom, left or right edges of the fog light lens to match the other one or your aiming preference.
10. Once satisfied tighten the bolts a 1/2 turn past tight and if possible add a dab of anti-seize as these bolts are exposed to the elements and are in aluminum mounting tabs.
11. Replace splash guard and pop-its and you are done!
Total cost was $65 for the housing and I got free shipping (Prime subscriber)
If the light doesn't come on make sure the plug is fully seating into the light plug.