LegacyGT.com

Will trying to do doughnuts hurt my car?

I just been goofing around in empty parking lots lately. Will trying (can't really get it down as of yet, does it have enough power to do so?) to do a doughnut hurt my car? I heard that I shouldn't lock the stering all the way over, whats the reason for that?

I think it will hurt the car due to the fact that it messes with the differentials on the Legacy. If you still want to do it though, I say make sure it's on something where you can break traction more easily, like on a wet surface or snow. That way you won't hurt your car as much.
-ben

Turning the wheel to full lock puts a lot of strain on the power steering. You can do it, I've seen many wrx's and sti's do it. I don't think it's something you should do more than a few times and when you do, I would do it on a wet surface.

Turning the wheel to full lock puts a lot of strain on the power steering. You can do it, I've seen many wrx's and sti's do it. I don't think it's something you should do more than a few times and when you do, I would do it on a wet surface.

You are correct. Keeping full lock is bad for your power steering, it will cause it to overheat and boil the fluid over.

Once you get the doughnut going, you can turn the wheel back a bit, so your not a full lock, then your power steering will be ok.

Don't do it on dry surface, unless you have bald tires, and even then, your gonna hurt the transmission.

I personally love doing doughnuts in the snow, and drifting around. See link. http://photologue.dgoreck.org/albums/album24/doorsopen.avi

Just don't do it, donuts will hurt the front axle joints since they are at close to full lock, heat up all 3 differentials and put the whole car under stress it wasn't tested for.

Controlled drifting in snow,ice and gravel is what AWD is made for.

Start a drift, hit the gas and AWD will power you thru without significant/uncontrollable under/over steer.

I keed I keeed

it's about as bad of an idea as testing airbags

lol you guys are such wimps with your cars.

The main thing doing donuts is bad for is your tires. Everything in moderation. But it is good to PUSH your car every so often. Whether it be with donuts, driving hard, or tracking. Driving it like a granny day in and day out is not what your engine wants.

And if the axle brakes after a 10 second donut, then that is Subaru's problem. There is no way a set of donuts should seriously harm your car.

I would be livid if my M3's rear axle breaks because of any kind of donut/burnout, but doing that on an AWD drivetrain is abuse pure and simple and it is not Subaru's problem.

RWD:

- 1 Rear diff

- 2 Rear CV joints/Live Axle

AWD:

- 3 Front, Center and Rear diff

- 4 Front and Rear CV joints

Obviously, the AWD drivetrain is under much more stress than the RWD, which has to only turn 2 straight wheels compared to 4 wheels, 2 of at about 45 deg.

Edit: As for the point of failure on Subaru's AWD, here is a list starting with the weakest/earliest point:

- Clutch if you slip alot

- Gears if you dump

- Differential

- CV Joints

Corret me if I'm wrong.

I keed I keeed

lol you guys are such wimps with your cars.

The main thing doing donuts is bad for is your tires. Everything in moderation. But it is good to PUSH your car every so often. Whether it be with donuts, driving hard, or tracking. Driving it like a granny day in and day out is not what your engine wants.

And if the axle brakes after a 10 second donut, then that is Subaru's problem. There is no way a set of donuts should seriously harm your car.

...something tells me that you've never had this conversation with any service manager, eh? :) I would encourage anyone to look into any warranty's fine print...."abuse" is any and every manufacturer's 'get out of jail free' card. The second they see your bald rear meats, they're gonna' start lookin' for othe signs of abuse in your drivetrain, sway bar bushings, etc. Rest assured, if 30 minutes of a skilled technician's time can save the dealer possibly thousands in warranty work, believe me--they'll go that route. Seen it before, have no interest in going there.

So, to be more accurate, "if the axle breaks after a 10 second doughnut, and they can prove abuse was involved, then it'll be YOUR problem" :)

Tim G.

'05 OBXT-L 5MT

Save it for the snow- the car is too sweet to abuse on dry pavement.

Even on snow, donuts will shave years of life off certain parts.

In the end, it is your car and you are free to abuse/break it but just pay when you play, so that we don't have to pay for your play.:)

I keed I keeed

Well, thanks for the advice guys. I really haven't done a real doughnut yet, only tryed a few times by squeeling the tires for 4 seconds while understering like crazy lol. I guess ill quit now, before I do any real damage and wait until the winter months when I can go out onto some frozen lakes covered in snow.

i powerslid my car for the first time, something id ont want to do again lol, i wasnt expecting it to handle the way it did, but i was so scared i was gonna blow something out the way i drifted before fishtailing and taking off like a bat outta hell again

now, granny drivin for the next few miles, only have 1500 on the car, dont want to break it that fast :p

...something tells me that you've never had this conversation with any service manager, eh? :) I would encourage anyone to look into any warranty's fine print...."abuse" is any and every manufacturer's 'get out of jail free' card. The second they see your bald rear meats, they're gonna' start lookin' for othe signs of abuse in your drivetrain, sway bar bushings, etc. Rest assured, if 30 minutes of a skilled technician's time can save the dealer possibly thousands in warranty work, believe me--they'll go that route. Seen it before, have no interest in going there.

So, to be more accurate, "if the axle breaks after a 10 second doughnut, and they can prove abuse was involved, then it'll be YOUR problem" :)

Tim G.

'05 OBXT-L 5MT

If the axle breaks after a 10 second doughnut, then I don't want to buy a legacy, and will stick to something that stays in one piece.

If the axle breaks after a 10 second doughnut, then I don't want to buy a legacy, and will stick to something that stays in one piece.

Put a turbo kit on a 325ix and come talk to us after doing doughnuts. :lol:

It is all about the different wheel speeds. The rear wheels spin pretty fast, and the front wheels roll slightly as the car turns. With RWD, the front wheels just spin on their hubs and bearings. No real harm or foul there, within reason. that is why drift cars are RWD.

On an AWD car, there is torque being applied to the front wheels. But yet the front wheels still don't want to move at the same speed as the rear wheels, and the transmission and center differential have to take up all that energy. Somewhere the system breaks, either inside the transmission or center diff, or one of the axles or CV joints break.

In an AWD car, on tarmac, trying to manouver using tire slip is risky because basically, you are asking the drivetrain to fight against itself. That is not necessarily the case with a RWD car.

On a slick or granular surface, where the tires have little traction, the engine provides enough power to easily break all the wheels loose of their traction, and all the wheels spin within a margin of the same speed, and thus the drivetrain doesn't get as much stress, such as on snow, ice, or gravel.

Why you would want to consiously use your nice AWD car to destroy itself is a bit beyond me. Fun is fun, I know, but abuse is something else.

The power steering pump, transmission and differentials will be shot before the axle breaks since any type of axle is designed to absord a lot of shock, so you can still buy a legacy. Hehe.:D

But the boots on your CV joints may be compromised, leak/dry grease and cause a creaking sound everytime you turn.

I keed I keeed

$25k+ to do donuts??? Anyways, I've found the best donut machines to be old low geared pickups. They can burn rubber and donut all day long. You can still blow the rear or tranny in one pretty easily.

Archived