LegacyGT.com

OEM grill paint

TRS

I used a can of metallic black labeled "truck and SUV". I just looked at the caps until I saw a color as close to the stock as I could find.

http://www.moojohn.com/subaru/grille3.jpg

I found some plasi-kote black metalic flake that matches awfully close, at least when the spray can top is held next to the grill.

I was thinking of painting the RBS front lip I've got on order to match the grill, but now I'm leaning toward using plasti-kote's flexible color bumper & trim in semi-gloss black because it would go more with the theme of the lower edge of the car with the black insert in the rear valance, as well as the black (unpainted) splash guards I've got.

More prep work, but it sounds like it may be more resistant to minor stone chipping.

Yes, it's "that easy," sorta....

The first time you do it, you might also need to get a flashlight and peek a the bottom lip of the grill along the inside. There are two "hooks," one per side, that may or may not be engaged. Don't worry about "bending" the bumper, it's quite flexible.

You may also need to get a small flat-head screwdriver to disengage the small hooks that fasten the top of the grill.

Easy as pie.

:)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Those hooks can be a PITA unless you have real small hands. A screwdriver helps, but the plastic is thin so it helps to get a hand down there to hold things in place.

How did you guys prep the chrome in order to paint it? sandpaper?

Go to any good auto paint supply shop and ask for a can of "paint adhesive promoter".

Sorry, I dont have the can here at work with me so I cant remember the exact name. Its a clear spray that makes "almost" any surface hold paint.

I just Painted my grill dark grey. Grill was very easy to remove. Undo the bolts and top latches then slid grill forward. I just sanded everything then painted.

As I side note I also painted the rear valance thing black like the sedan (mines a wagon). I did no prep and I hope it stays for awile, probably just ruined a perfectly good bumper. Once I get to painting I cant stop.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JessterCPA
Looks like I'm gonna have to pick up some cans of some sort of metallic black this week...

+1

Jesse

• 6 months later...

hey this thread came on about just the right time... i was just starting to think about painting my OEM grille. Reading overall the posts, do you recommand custom ordering from http://www.paintscratch.com/ ? or one of the auto paint shops ( and does that mean a body shop?)

If i really get around to do this, it'll be the first project i've ever done on a car...but since everyone is so helpful here i'm sure i wouldn't have a problem... Thanks!!

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

hey this thread came on about just the right time... i was just starting to think about painting my OEM grille. Reading overall the posts, do you recommand custom ordering from http://www.paintscratch.com/ ? or one of the auto paint shops ( and does that mean a body shop?)

If i really get around to do this, it'll be the first project i've ever done on a car...but since everyone is so helpful here i'm sure i wouldn't have a problem... Thanks!!

What part(s) of the grill do you want to paint?

What color(s) do you want to paint it?

What part(s) of the grill do you want to paint?

What color(s) do you want to paint it?

i want to paint the middle chrome part black? (matching the dark color of the grille, or is it gray metallic as mentioned), and the outside surrounding chrome body color (but the more i think about it, ABP gotta go to a body shop :( )

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

I finally got around to painting the grill "wings" tonight. The plasi-kote black metalic flake paint I bought last summer turned out to be pretty much an exact match color-wise, but does have a bit more gloss than the OEM.

282863953_grill_wings002(2).JPG.aad3e17b39cbbe535830bc75dc9a8b5a.JPG

1499837465_grill_wings003(2).jpg.394560d28f6d97797dfbe61649e10041.jpg

770646931_grill_wings001(3).JPG.7108a8394f765b46e308824fe2a83543.JPG

Archived