LegacyGT.com

Custom in-dash LCD install

Scruit

I installed a lilliput 7" touchscreen in my dash in place of the cubby and made a custom surround for it.

20 hours of work went into shaping this bezel. It's the front of a factory 'cubby' surround with the center cut out and the sides/base built up with epoxy and a tiny bit of glazing putty to help me sand it smooth.

The screen is NOT molded into the bezel, so I have a choice of replacing the screen if I want.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/IMG_1524.jpg

The screen is held in place by a fabbed-up aluminum mount to facotory holes. The infopanel was relocated with a kit I bought from a member here.

I know my car is messy. The bezel has no flaws (apart from a crack into top right that opened up due to excessive flexing during install - a bit of fettling will make it sit flat. It's not visible without a bright flash becuasse it's in the shadow. The rest of the apparent blemishes are just bits of dust. The color difference between the bezel and the dash are exaggerated by the flash - they are much closer in real life.

• 1 month later...

The head unit is a liliput 7" lcd screen. Something like $250 if I recall.

I repainted the entire bezel. I removed the ducts (with vent blades intact) during the work.

To paint it I put a few coats of satin black, then the final coat was sprayed at a distance of about 18" in a very warm room (80deg) and this had the effect of drying the paint quickly upon hitting the surface so it dried before it had chance to flatten out. This gave it a texture that made it close to a matt finish which matches pretty well.

Scruit, please link it in the CarPC thread as well. We love centralized sources of info.

Beyond that nice job but please remove that Liliput signage. Not sure it fits in. Smaller and silver...maybe (I kept Xenarc) but yours is bigger and yellow. Doesn't match the rest of the interior.

Archived