I've seen a lot of people asking for a walkthrough with photos as the one that was previously posted seems to be missing. So, I went ahead and removed mine took some pics and put it back in for the sake of the cause. I took the steps that jeepthrills (thank you for posting the steps and I hope you don't mind me using your steps. if you do, pm me and ill take it off no problem
) posted and simply added photos. Hope this helps those of you looking to remove the intake silencer.
It took me less than an hour to take out the silencer, take photos and then put it back in. If you are halfway decent at turning wrenches i cant see it taking more than 30 min. to complete this mod. Good luck!
Tools required: flat screwdriver, #2 Phillips Screwdriver, 3/8" or 1/4" drive ratchet, 10mm socket (I used a deep-well socket for a little extra reach), 8-9 inch socket extension , 10mm wrench (ratcheting is easier)
1. Remove two popits from front of airbox scoop and lift scoop out of the way. loosen clamp on intake hose between airbox and intake, at the airbox.
2. Remove MAF wire clip
3. Open airbox clips
4. Wrestle the airbox half loose from the inlet hose, powersteering hose (on engine side of cover in clip)and remove airfilter.
5. Loosen 2 10mm bolts from bottom of airbox on top of frame between airbox and cylinder head (Extension used here).
6. Loosen 1 10mm nut from top outside corner or airbox (behind and above pass side headlamp)
7. Using careful lift, turn, twist, lift type technique you will be rewarded with the front half of the airbox and the wiley Snorkus.
8. [Remove] one more popit from the bottom of the airbox
9. Twist the Snorkus roughly 90 degrees till the "nipples" are within the tube and pull it down
10. Start back at number 7 and work backwards for reinstall of airbox.
11. Enjoy the new sound of WWOOSSHHH!