LegacyGT.com

Stage 1 (turbo related?) problem 05 5MT

jfg22557

Well, let me start from the beginning. About a week and a half or so ago, I got my dongle back from cobb that I had been waiting for for about 2 weeks that was being updated from v.01 firmware to the current (v.02 I think). Needless to say I was uncontrollably anxious to load my stage 1 93 octane MTv118 map (from my v2 ap w/fresh firmware aswell). Loaded it up, took the car for a test drive and it was f*ckin' beautiful. Loved the low end torque increase and overall power. Had it in there for about a week or so, plenty of daily spirited driving, typically with some added weight (anywhere from 1-3 additional people in the car). Things seemed awesome, car was performing great.

Then, last friday I was on my typical run and all of a sudden i hear a very discreet screech noise and felt a slight 'pop' sensation from the gas pedal. Started coasting down a hill, but when I went to accelerate I started hearing a VERY noticeable spooling noise, but it wasnt entirely consistent. It sounded almost as if the spooling was breaking up, as in not just a strait constant spool flow noise like when the turbo is working normally, but rather a MUCH louder distorted noise pattern. I assumed the compressor wheel was scraping against the housing as if the shaft got displaced slightly or something like that, but Im a real amateur when it comes to turbo mechanics so any of you guys please feel free to correct me. CEL and cruise came on and I figured it was all over.

Got my friend to give me a ride to my house after school to grab my ap and read the cel, code P0011 camshaft timing over advanced. So, after leaving it at my school parking lot overnight and having it towed the next day to my dad's good friend's auto spa detail shop (bunch of older car heads that pretty much just chill, drink brew all day, and refurb used cars for resale in the off time, not to mention do one hell of a bad ass detailing job), and his buddy who works on imports came over the next day while i was at school and supposedly checked the turbo out.

Now, before I even had the thing towed, I went back to it sitting in the parking lot and loaded the real time stock map back onto the ecu (MTv118 93 base). Needless to say, when this guy does his "testing" and takes it out for a drive, (which i told them not to do, fearing that running it with some type of turbo problem would cause more problems), he concludes that the turbos working fine and nothings wrong, just that I screwed up the ecu myself and that was causing the problems.

Now, im thinking to myself, how the hell could this be. I know what I heard when 'something' went on the car 2 days earlier, and the rest of the people in the car with me heard it too. Ended up calling cobb today to ask them what it could be, based on the fact that the turbo (possibly) did blow under stage 1 settings and the noise was REALLY noticeable, then when the guy test drove it after i'd loaded the rt map to stock before he tested it, he said it was fine.

So i decided to go over to the shop and take the car out myself. The noise was undoubtedly still there, but veeerrry very suddle now, and not as consistent. More like it would make a really low pitched odd spooling noise then fade away from the motor idle's ambient noise, positive that someone without a trained ear wouldnt be able to notice it, but then again this guy supposedly works on plenty of imports so im thinking how could he miss it. I'm really questioning this guys experience now and I dont know what the hell to do.

The cobb rep said it could be a leak in the up pipe, which i had read about before, that could be a possibility. But its really not a whistling noise like he said it would be if that were the case. Its now, like i said, just a very discreet abnormal spooling noise that really only kicks in once you start to hit a little boost (2.5-3k or so) and on up from there. Sorry for the ridiculously* long post, but Im hoping you guys can help me out. I dont trust anyone around here anymore:rolleyes:.

-Jake

1) Paragaraphs are your friend. If you want people to respond, you need to make it easier for them to WANT to. One paragraph of running on-and-on is painful to read.

2) I wouldn't trust any regular "import" guy or "detail" guy to look at a turbocharged car unless they have specific knowledge about turbos. On a car such as this, it's also important to have in-depth knowledge about computer control of the engine, since old turbo/SC cars on carbs are totally different from modern vehicles.

3) It's spelled "ridiculous"

4) In case it wasn't clear from the above, from what I can see, I wouldn't trust anyone around you either...

So where is the car now? At a shop? Are you driving it? Stock tune, or Stage1 tune? Base-map or on-the-fly map? Still making noises at 2.5-3k RPM? Is that 2.5-3k during WOT/heavy boost, or even during light throttle?

now that the op is all laid out correctly, the car is still at the detail/spa shop sitting in the parking lot not being driven.

Like I said, the ecu is set on a real time stock map with the MTv118 93 octane base.

Not totally sure where to go from here since i dont have a firm idea on what the problem is. Thinking my next move is to take it to a real tuning/diagnostic shop. Got a list of some pretty reputable ones from friends around here. And like I said, the discreet version of the original noise is still there (as of yesterday when I drove it), and that starts to kick in between 2.5-3k rpm then get mostly drowned out by the ambient idle noise (edited into OP).

Didnt even attempt pushing heavy boost and kept a safe distance from WOT, no way I'm risking a test like that knowing that the turbo components could (or are) already screwed up enough to cause damage to anything else. Never pushed much past 5k or so when I tested it yesterday.

Archived