LegacyGT.com

2005 Wheel Corrosion - Center cap Question

NEPA

SOA just replaced all 4 of my '05 GT's wheels under warranty for corrosion around the center caps. Kudos to Subaru! :) Anyway, does anyone know if the center caps are the source of the corrosion? I know they were redesigned between '05 (Subaru lettering) and '06 (Subaru emblem). That seemed strange to me. I don't want to be in the same place in 3 years. Does anyone know if the later wheels are prone to corrosion as well?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had the same problem with my 07, Subaru replaced all 4 a few months ago. If I look closely at them it looks to be startin again. I don't use harsh chemicals and keep the wheels waxed. I don't know.

I had mine replaced a couple of yeas back The corrosion starts from the inside against the brake rotor. I watched mine do it. The replacements are doing the same thing just not as quickly.

Subaru had no hesitation in replacing mine too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
Here is my 08 GT wheel corrosion. Still waiting on the dealer to get back to me.

My '05's looked like yours after three winters, except the paint bubble actually popped. It started after the first winter with just a small bubble below the paint and got progressively worse every winter. My 2005 was still under warranty, because I bought it as a leftover in May of '06. Subaru replaced them with no questions, but I made it clear to the dealer that I would not accept a repaint. (The car I parked next to when I dropped it off had a horrible wheel repaint, which was obviously aimed at the center wheel corrosion.) I still haven't put my centercaps on my new wheels. I'm skeeered!:(

• 2 weeks later...
Mine did the same thing and they told me that they aren’t covering it under "warranty" but as a good measure thing or something. He said what causes that is when you get ur wheels rotated the center caps need to be pushed out from the back and if that doesn’t happen and they use a screw driver from the outside that since the center cap is metal and wheel is aluminum it chips the wheels and moister gets underneath it and corrodes it. Never the less they are replacing them…so I’m happy….YAAAAA BelAir Subaru

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bringing my car in to Concordville Subaru for this (among 3 other things). Since they are currently covered in salt, I'm going to hand-wipe down the wheels beforehand just to be able to clearly show the corrosion occuring (bearing in mind for me the car is about 20 months old since i picked it up with 4 miles on it).

Praying for the best. 4 new wheels would be great, but I think it'd be reasonable if they offered to re-finish them. From what I understand, the 07+ wheels are polished aluminum and not painted....could be wrong.

Yeah, not expecting miracles, but they can fix it in warranty and I'll deal with again out of warranty. If I can get to 75k miles before the corrosion really starts to poke it's head, I'll be relatively happy.

My friend has, IIRC, a 2003 Grand Prix GTP. Chrome wheels. The chrome is peeling off in 6" strips on the inside of the wheel, on all 4 wheels. And he takes fairly good care of his car.

At least it's not that :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived