LegacyGT.com

Best springs to run with a Spec.B, don't want a significant drop

jeguzik

I wanted everyone's opinions for springs to run on my '06 Spec.B. I would like a minimal drop, and I would still like this to be a nice daily driver. I am just trying to take some of the front and back rock under acceleration and braking and the body roll in the turns a bit. Being at state II it just seems like the suspension needs just a little more.

Thoughts on the best spring to look at. I have been reading up on the Rallitek and the Tein H-techs...

Thanks,

J

Sounds like you'll want something progressive with a slightly higher spring rate and a minimal drop?

For those I'd recommend:

Pinks (most expensive)

Ralliteks (least expensive and minimal drop)

Eibachs (inexpensive with most drop)

Rallitek's site says:

JDM STi springs for Legacy GT...lower the car approximately 15mm front and rear

(Does not mention SPecB specifically nor front-rear difference)

Cobb: Springs fit Spec B as well. Drop is 1.3" front and .7" rear.

(So, no saggy butt..)

Rallitek Legacy 2.5i and GT ... 1.3 inches lower than factory. SpecB ... about .9" lower than factory. (Does not mention front-rear difference)

I just put in the Rallitek springs for the same reasons you stated.

posted my review here:

http://legacygt.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=312&sort=2&cat=18&page=1

I went with these instead of pinks because:

Pinks costed more, were supposedly a lil more harsh, and dropped the car lower. They are still firm enough for a great handling car, and took out alot of roll/pitch/squat.

For the Spec-B we've got 2 different set-ups:

(a) Our Sport Spec + HD rears which will give this lowering (-0.65"/-0.50" F/R) *pictures courtesy of our good customer rs6er*->

attachment.php?attachmentid=63520&d=1234278265

attachment.php?attachmentid=64796&d=1236779830

attachment.php?attachmentid=64828&d=1236815835

(b) Our JDM Spec + Sport Spec rears which will give this lowering (-1.18"/-1" F/R) *picture thanks to our long time customer fweasel* ->

http://www.ionperformance.com/GB/iONJDM.jpg

I would suggest not to go ralliteks. Though they perform admirably (no complaints there) the drop was uneven front to back. My front almost looks higher while the back dropped. As an inexact scientific measurement, I can fit 4 fingers in the front wheel well and only two in the back....

For me the biggest concern was budget. I have my 1st track day coming up, and I didn't want to spend more than $500. That's why i went with Ralliteks, hawk HP+ pads, and the AVO LCA Bushings.

With the pinks for an extra $200, you will get a better looking (lower) drop, and a firmer ride. If those 2 things matter to you, go for the pinks.

For the Spec-B we've got 2 different set-ups:

(a) Our Sport Spec + HD rears which will give this lowering (-0.65"/-0.50" F/R) *pictures courtesy of our good customer rs6er*->

(b) Our JDM Spec + Sport Spec rears which will give this lowering (-1.18"/-1" F/R) *picture thanks to our long time customer fweasel* ->

thanks ION appreciate the pics. I'm not looking for a drastic mod to the geometry so (a) looks like the right combo. I wish your web site worked so I could check out the products you are referring to here...links from 'choose a model' for Subaru go nowhere.

I am thinking between the:

1) Ralliteks

2) Tein H-Techs

3) Ion HD's

Anyone who has these on their legacy, feel free to let me know how you like them. If you are running on Bilsteins, all the better.

I would suggest not to go ralliteks. Though they perform admirably (no complaints there) the drop was uneven front to back. My front almost looks higher while the back dropped. As an inexact scientific measurement, I can fit 4 fingers in the front wheel well and only two in the back....

That is with bilsteins (sp?). I have heard that without our tophats the drop is same front to back. I did not want much drop and is the reason I got the ralliteks, but I would have rather had an even drop instead of drop in back and slight raise in front

For everyone's clarification, we have both Sports & HD (Heavy Duty) spring options for the rears. They do not refer to the Bilstien HD's.

so front spring options are:

a) JDM spec at -1.18"

b) sport spec at -0.65"

and rear is:

a) sport spec -1.00"

b) HD spec -0.50"

correct?

i get 4 fingers in front, 2 in back also with stock 2008 spec.b bilsteins + ralliteks.

The drop doesn't look as good/even as pinks or other springs, but i don't care much about the looks. It's firm, and pitch/squat/roll is decreased alot. That's all i wanted.

Eibach Pro-Kit springs on my 07 spec B, stock Bilstein struts. Very happy with the ride and drop (approx 1"). Before and after pics. Yes thats my dirty forester next to it, the legacy could use a little washing too.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/Pfro/tdi/vfswap/leggybefore.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/Pfro/tdi/vfswap/leggy1.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/Pfro/tdi/vfswap/leggy2.JPG

i get 4 fingers in front, 2 in back also with stock 2008 spec.b bilsteins + ralliteks.

The drop doesn't look as good/even as pinks or other springs, but i don't care much about the looks. It's firm, and pitch/squat/roll is decreased alot. That's all i wanted.

Definitely agree with the performance of the ralliteks....and for only 200 bucks and an afternoon of wrench work it is worth it :)

Perfect set-up while I wait for the shocks to go out and then on to coil overs :spin:

That sounds like it should be the punchline to a dirty joke. I bought the Rallitek's yesterday, so I am waiting on the delivery. After reading the reviews, factoring in the type of ride I wanted I went with the Rallitek's. I did not think the pinks or ions would be $200 bucks better for what I was looking for. With the money I saved, I will probably dump that into some sways, at least in the rear. Thanks everyone!

J

Archived