LegacyGT.com

08 iPod Adapter

SlickSpur

Does anyone have any reviews of the factory iPod adapter on the car? I skipped the option when purchasing my '08, but have been considering adding one. The aux-in is a great feature to have included, but pulling the iPod out of the arm rest when I want to switch songs, and having to turn it on or off when I want to use it can get a bit old after a while (especially if the iPod adapter/cable isn't much). Do you guys know if you can just buy the cable at Best Buy or one of those stores and have them put one in? Not sure if it's Suby specific...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Feed the iPod cable through the little notch on the armrest and leave the iPod on top of the cup holder cover thing. That way you don't have to pull it out every time.
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Yeah, they just started offering it as an add on to legacys at the end of 2008 (according to subaru)

new 12/10/08 iPod-iPhone interface

just a few weeks old.

Give it a few months and a lot more info will be out there on it.

wonder how much the little cable will be now....

I just replied to the dealer i bought my LGT from, He e-mailed me asking about the car and such... and to impress me with 2010 Legacy pics lol.

Asked him about the adapter, and to shoot me a quote and part number.

He's good about getting back to me on stuff like that, i'll post what I know tomorrow.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2009.html#new

It's the latest thing on the listing there, says dealer or factory installed... and not able with factory SAT installed, so i assume that it plugs into the SAT connection in back.

the Cars101 site looks to show it as a $223 option ($145 dealer price?) a little further down, but no part numbers.

code E9C. $223. ($145)

When I first asked about it at the dealership, they said it was about $300 installed. Not a bad price (though not a great one, I think Best Buy charges $50 for the cable installation, and the cable's probably only $10-20). If I can control my iPod from the steering wheel and cycle through 'Artists' and 'Songs', etc., then it's money well spent. Especially if it fixes my biggest pet peeve, having to go back into the arm rest to turn the iPod off after I've shut the car off.

IMO, $300 is a ridiculous price, even installed. It's a $20 cable, and takes 5 mins to install (depending on where they route it to). If it is indeed controlled via the HU and/or steering wheel controls, I'd put it where I put it in my '05, stuffed in the the compartment where the fuses are near the driver. Totally out of sight. Took me about 10 mins to install it there and route the cable to the back of the HU.

EDIT---Hmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder if Monoprice is going to work on one of these. :scratch: Might have to buy one to send to them, or contact them and tell them if they made one they'd have probably 100 orders really quick.

I didn't realize they even offered one.

The 07-09 without satellite radios can have them.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

yeah the price is whats probably going to kill it for me.

if cars101 is right (if i'm reading it right) the dealer cost is $145? or thats the non installed price maybe?... 223 installed?... not sure. have not heard back from the dealer yet.

if it's $145 or so and i install it... Like SlickSpur said, it cures a pet peeve. i'd buy it.

IMO, $300 is a ridiculous price, even installed. It's a $20 cable, and takes 5 mins to install (depending on where they route it to). If it is indeed controlled via the HU and/or steering wheel controls, I'd put it where I put it in my '05, stuffed in the the compartment where the fuses are near the driver. Totally out of sight. Took me about 10 mins to install it there and route the cable to the back of the HU.

EDIT---Hmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder if Monoprice is going to work on one of these. :scratch: Might have to buy one to send to them, or contact them and tell them if they made one they'd have probably 100 orders really quick.

Would installation require pulling the radio, or can you get to the back without taking the radio out? I've only had the car a few days, haven't even though to check how much room is back there.

Would installation require pulling the radio, or can you get to the back without taking the radio out? I've only had the car a few days, haven't even though to check how much room is back there.

Definitely have to pull the radio. But it's super easy to do. Takes 5 mins, literally.

Interested in what's different from the Impreza model. I've got that working on my '07 stereo. Probably just changed up the programming to better match the different controls on the Leggy HU's.

Somebody get one! I want to see how it plays with the '07 HU. They are REALLY easy to install. There is quite a bit of room behind the stereo. I've got this unit and a Parrot Bluetooth control box (and all the extra wiring) stuffed back there and it's pretty full now but still no problem.

Cheers!

Got my response from my dealer.

He didn't send me a part # but said he'd ship it to me for $150 + shipping.

I'm tempted.

yeah thats what i was thinking, compare the part numbers. I wonder if thats why he didn't send the number?

Part Number H621SSC200 found it. (imprezza/forester part # i think)

http://www.subaru.com/ipod/ so we can see what the thing is. open the install guide and you can see all the parts, it's not just a cable....

tiny pic. http://www.subaru.com/media/image/ipod/kitContents.jpg

Last edit i swear...

It says a NEW model for Legacy and tribeca in late december. (the page is for the Imprezza it looks like) I bet the Imprezza and Legacy have different interfaces for the radio.. so i doubt compatable.

For anyone wanting to control your iPod from your steering wheel and radio of your Legacy or Outback (2007-2009) get part number H621SXA200 (also works on Tribeca). I just installed it today (Thanks subarugenuineparts.com). There seems to be some confusion though about this part. My local dealer did research and told me that this was only for the '09s and that Subaru was working on an application for the 07-08. Subarugenuineparts.com, a dealer in Washington, said otherwise and so far is the only place online I could find it.

Well I installed it today in my '08 LegacyGT and it works great. Still learning the controls but I can advance songs from the steering wheel and everything else works from the head unit controls. Installation was not bad and took maybe an hour to an hour and a half, not really sure exactly because my friend and I installed a short throw shifter at the same time.

Checkout Subaru.com/ipod

Archived