LegacyGT.com

Misfire - Swapped Coils, Misfire Gone

Ok, quick run down. 05 Outback XT. DP, BNR 16G, tune in progress.

I have been getting a misfire on cylinder 3. Mostly a flashing CEL under hard acceleration with a solid CEL once or twice.

I swapped ignition coils on passenger side, did several pulls, and not one flashing CEL. I seem to remember reading someone else experiencing this on here but couldn't find the thread again.

Car had just over 100,000 miles. Is this likely a bad coil pack even though the misfire went away after swapping?

Could have been a loose connection on one of the clips

That would be very unusual because I had the coils unplugged once to replace the plugs when the new turbo went in and then again to regap the plugs. It'd be odd the connector was loose both times.

Cylinder 3 is the closest one to the turbo. All that heat means a shorter life for that coil pack. Probably moving it away from that heat has stopped the misfire...for now. Don't be surprised if it comes back on the new cylinder (same side front is #1).

When mine did the same thing the laminated core of the coil pack was delaminating from the rust. If yours looks like that, order a new one to have on hand. Or swap it right away.

I've already had 2 fail at 72K, so BUY a new coil. It's not long for this earth. You may have had a ground issue, but once it has failed, even if you have a better ground, it will fail again. Buy the new one and put it in your spare tire well for when it does. You won't regret it.

Archived